Corsair Community

Asus Rampage II Gene with TR3X6G1600C8D

mario..64

All,

I have a newly-built i7 920 system running on an Asus Rampage II Gene and TR3X6G1600C8D Corsair RAM. I've spent most of the day trying to achieve stability at 1600. One would think it would be as simple as enable XMP and reboot but no.

I've tried almost every possible combination of manual and XMP settings and the ONLY one that gives system stability is increasing vdimm beyond 1.65v. Specifically, I'm at ~ 1.68v. So far, memtest is reporting no errors but I'm going to let it run a while longer.

Question is, with this being an i7 system is it safe to leave vdimm at this value permanently? Also, any ideas why it won't work at stock voltage?

Other settings are default, ie 8-8-8-24 1T

Edit: Could it somehow be my PowerSupply causing this? I'm using a Corsair HX520. Video card is HD Radeon 5850. Two hard drives and two optical drives. According to the Corsair PSU app, this should be ok.

Thanks,

mario..64

Did you put your qpi at 1.35 volt or 1.36 volt and don t enable XMP profile

for me it s not work anyway , set manually you freq ,Latancy and voltage .

But Seem your power supply is limit whit your config ,you can calculate your charge on this site ,

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Try these ,I hope these will work for you .

Update:

It turns out 1.68v actually did NOT give me total stability. I reset everything back to default then just changed DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600 and manually set to 8-8-8-24 1T. I left all voltage settings to auto.

This seems to work BUT for some reason it's setting vdimm to 1.8v! This is still within 0.5v of VTT though.

Only thing I can figure is this RAM is bad. It should not need that much voltage to run stable at advertised specs......

Based on what little information you have provided, I don't think the memory is the issue. You may be RMAing the wrong part.

A quick search of this forum and Asus' forums will reveal that MANY users are having this EXACT same issue with this RAM. In every case RAM Guy has recommended RMA'ing the RAM, so I would disagree.

As I said, I'll give Corsair another shot and if it fails again choose another vendor.

• Corsair Employees
If you search further you will see that there are many people with DDR1600 having problems not only from using our memory, and this is over clocking it will be hit and miss sometimes, but to be sure the memory is not the problem I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org with just XMP Loaded. And I would suggest setting the command Rate to 2T, that is a CPU or memory controller setting and since you are having problems it may help.

For sure the problem are in the bios ,Not your setting but i don t know why

the bios of almost all company for this memory have problem,same thing for 3 of my friends ,we found bios on the net on a tweakdown web site and me and my friend are ok with the memory and we don t have all the same Brand memory , then i am sure if you contact your motherboard support company you will find a solution .

If you search further you will see that there are many people with DDR1600 having problems not only from using our memory, and this is over clocking it will be hit and miss sometimes, but to be sure the memory is not the problem I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org with just XMP Loaded. And I would suggest setting the command Rate to 2T, that is a CPU or memory controller setting and since you are having problems it may help.

If the RAM is advertised and rated to run at 1600 how is that overclocking? Anyway, even with 1 stick installed and using XMP it is not stable. XMP does set command rate to 2T. And I am using the brand new, just released BIOS for the RIIG. Setting vdimm to 1.8v is the only thing that works period.

Today I tested with a brand new 850W PSU. Made no difference at all. I did find out though that the RAM will run fine at 1333 8-8-8-24 1T which confirms my suspicion of bad memory. I'll be shipping it back Monday for RMA. Hopefully the next set will work at advertised speed.

Today I tested with a brand new 850W PSU. Made no difference at all. I did find out though that the RAM will run fine at 1333 8-8-8-24 1T which confirms my suspicion of bad memory. I'll be shipping it back Monday for RMA. Hopefully the next set will work at advertised speed.

That could equally or more likely be describing a bad or weak memory controller or a BIOS issue. Let us know how the RMA kit does.

Is TR3X6G1600C8D rated for 1T or 2T? CPU-Z shows the XMP profile setting at 2 but the forum page for X58 boards shows setting it to 1.

BTW, I'm having a bit of success at 1600 by adjusting Back to Back CAS Delay. 6 seems to work at 2T. I'm trying to figure out if 8 will work at 1T.

From what I've read though having to make adjustments to this value indicates poor quality RAM....

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new kit yesterday but still it will not run stable at 1600 unless I increase vdimm to 1.8, and even then it still froze after a few hours of Prime95.

The good news is that it will run at 1333 7-7-7-20 1T with 1.65 vdimm. From what I have read these tighter timings will produce the same level of performance in real-world applications. In fact, my Windows Experience RAM score is the same (7.8) as it was when I temporarily ran 1600 1.8v.

I hate that I wasted so much money on high-end 1600 ddr3 but just don't feel like going through another long RMA cycle to get less expensive RAM when it in fact may have its own issues.

Spoke too soon... Now getting freezes at 1333, even 9-9-9-24. :mad:

One thing I should add: I enabled XMP @ 1600 8-8-8-24 and was able to run 5 passes of memtest v4 with no errors. It's only when I attempt to boot or work in Windows that these hard locks occur. This makes me think the RAM itself is ok and can run at 1600. What, if anything, can I do to get the whole system stable at 1600?

I have the same board here and it tests just fine with multiple kits of 1600 memory. It's not likely you got 2 consecutive bad kits and they both test fine at 1333. The issue is most likely your board or CPU.

Find a way to test your CPU in another system or, get another board with which to test your CPU and memory.

Find a way to test your CPU in another system or, get another board with which to test your CPU and memory.

Unfortunately I neither have access to another mobo nor CPU. At this point I'm just running the RAM at 1066 5-5-5-18 1T. Those are good timings I guess but I didn't pay so much for this memory to run 1066.

I realize this is a Corsair forum but do wonder if a different vendor's RAM might work properly with my CPU and mobo. Perhaps there's just an incompatibility issue with the particular chips Corsair uses???

Unfortunately I neither have access to another mobo nor CPU. At this point I'm just running the RAM at 1066 5-5-5-18 1T. Those are good timings I guess but I didn't pay so much for this memory to run 1066.

I realize this is a Corsair forum but do wonder if a different vendor's RAM might work properly with my CPU and mobo. Perhaps there's just an incompatibility issue with the particular chips Corsair uses???

I tested this board with 4+ memory kits during this past week including your kit. There is no compatibility issue.

http://www.corsair.com/testreports/report_print_new.aspx?r_id=1217026&p_id=890873&m_id=717674

You could have a weak or failing module in which case we'll replace them. However, since you have tried 2 kits and based on what you have posted I suspect that the problem is with the board or the CPU.

Update:

It was in fact the RAM. I purchased a 6GB DDR3-1600 kit from another vendor, installed it, enabled XMP and boom! Rock solid stability @ 1600.

Clearly there is some kind of compatibility issue with this particular RAM and the Asus Rampage II Gene. Either that or I was just EXTREMELY unlucky and got three consecutive bad Corsair kits.

Update:

It was in fact the RAM. I purchased a 6GB DDR3-1600 kit from another vendor, installed it, enabled XMP and boom! Rock solid stability @ 1600.

Clearly there is some kind of compatibility issue with this particular RAM and the Asus Rampage II Gene. Either that or I was just EXTREMELY unlucky and got three consecutive bad Corsair kits.

Glad to hear you have a working system now. But, there is an oddity here as there is no compatibility issue with the board. I've been playing Neverwinter Nights on mine.

Archived