Corsair Community

HX850W - is this normal?

Ravenheart

I've just installed an HX 850 psu in my system and it's doing the exact same thing that the TX 850 I had did i.e making a noise upon shutdown like a stick being run across a fence, try rolling your tongue and saying the letter r, or just say drrrrrrrrrr, the thing is it's quieter on the HX 850 psu than it was on the TX 850 psu but it shouldn't be there at all.

I rma'd the TX 850 for a refund because of that issue and it was found to be faulty when tested, but I'm now wondering what with the psu being installed with the fan facing upwards in my A ntec 300 case (because you can't have the psu any other way) could it be that the fan is catching the plastic fan shroud inside the psu when it shuts down? Because it's a possibility that's what's making the noise mentioned.

Please get back to me ASAP as I don't want to have to RMA yet another psu back to the place I ordered it from but in all honesty why would it be catching anyway?, and surely I haven't received yet another faulty unit, at least I hope not.

Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
If you have the same issues with both PSUs then there may be some other cause. I would remove the PSU from the case and plug it into the board and video card only from outside the case and see if you can look into the fan area and see anything coming in contact with the fan on a shut down. Also, you may want to test the PSU in a different system if possible. If you have the same exact problem in a different system then we would want to get the unit replaced for you.

Tru laying the PSU on its side outside the case and power it up, also try with the fan facing downward. That will eliminate at least the potential issue you mentioned of the fan being upside down, which does not matter for modern Fans, however it may give some clue as to the cause.

Archived