Corsair Community

Issues with 2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D after Motherboard Upgrade

TinTin69

Hi All,

I have been running 4GB (2xTwinX2048-PC8500C5D Dominator) with 4-up without any problems for 2 years (on 1066MHz) on an Asus P5K Deluxe (P35) motherboard, all on standard BIOS settings.

Recently, I had to replace my mobo and thought it would be a good idea upgrading it to a P5Q Premium (P45). Ever since, I've been having a nightmare with the RAM. Often, the PC doesn't even POST, then I have to take out all 4 sticks, reboot until it beeps 3 times, put 1 stick back and then I can get into the BIOS. Have tried a lot of things: manually set voltage to 2.1v, timings to 5-5-5-15, NB voltage +0.2v and nothing works with 4 sticks. Have tried 2.2v as well, on which it ran perfectly well an entire day, but the next day again it didn't POST, no beep, nothing. I even tried runnign it at 800MHz with the same settings, on which it seems to run stable, but again same issues when rebooting the next day. How is this possible?? I would have thought the P5Q is a better motherboard, and the memory should be compatible. Memtest shows no issues btw.

Any tips would be highly appreciated

Cheers

Anyone?

Done a few more tests. I'm not even able to run 4-up at 800MHz or 667MHz, no matter what voltage NBv setting etc. I use. 3 DIMMs works perfectly fine, even on 1066MHz with all Auto settings in the BIOS. That is just ridiculous, I'm really regretting having bought Corsair RAM.

Anyone?

Done a few more tests. I'm not even able to run 4-up at 800MHz or 667MHz, no matter what voltage NBv setting etc. I use. 3 DIMMs works perfectly fine, even on 1066MHz with all Auto settings in the BIOS. That is just ridiculous, I'm really regretting having bought Corsair RAM.

Hi All,

I have been running 4GB (2xTwinX2048-PC8500C5D Dominator) with 4-up without any problems for 2 years (on 1066MHz) on an Asus P5K Deluxe (P35) motherboard, all on standard BIOS settings.

I would think it's obvious that it is not the memory in this case.

Can you provide all of the information from the stickers on all 4 modules?

Have you tried each stick in each memory slot and are able to pass memtest this way every time? It's lengthy process but it's worth it to diagnose the issue accurately.

Slot 1, stick 1

Slot 1, stick 2

Slot 1, stick 3

Slot 1, stick 4

Repeat for memory slot 2-4

Then you can say the memory works good and each memory slot is good. After that you have to blame the P45 or the BIOS, in fact have you updated the BIOS to the latest one?

Thanks for the replies guys. well, there goes my weekend but I'll try each memory in each slot.

What I have tried is taking out one stick randomly, and it works fine. I thought it has to do with 4 slots being occupied (have read on this forum that thereare a lot of problems with that). Had upgraded to the latest BIOS first thing.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for all the replies.

@Ram Guy: I have tried all that, but 4-up doesn't even work at 667MHz.

@Yellowbears: The stickers say the following on all 4 DIMMs:

CM2X1024-8500C5D

XMS-8500 1024MB 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 XMS0505v1.2 07200099

I've been running on 3 sticks all on Auto settings without any issues (on 1067MHz). However, it fails instantly when I put a fourth stick in. I will try this weekend to run each stick individually in each slot with Memtest and see what happens.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

ok, I've finally found some time to do some rigorous testing. I don't know why my initial memtest didn't show any errors, but I have now run them individually and in diffrent memory slots.

I have identified one DIMM which continuously keeps giving me errors on pretty much all tests (the screen turns red from the beginning). With that one, the PC often also fails to boot when either on its own or with other sticks.

Then there is another DIMM which only gives me 1 error on Test 3. However, I can leave it in and the PC runs without issues. The other two are don't show any errors at all.

All the above is both under the standard BIOS setting (all Auto) as well as on the spec settings for my RAM, i.e. 2.1v, 5-5-5-15 timings.

So I guess I've got two faulty sticks. They are 3 years old. what do I do now?

Archived