Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 compatable with Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2?

NigelR

A Media PC built from the components in my profile has proved to be extremely unstable. These components (except PSU which was left in the case) are all new. They replace an Athlon 64-3200 based MB that I put in the case 4 years ago, that system has been rock solid stable.

I have tried the system with the F3 bios it came with and the latest F4 bios from the Gigabyte web site. The system has never been overclocked. Currently the system has the Intel ‘Turbo’ function disabled (enabled by default) and the turbo function on the memory (enabled by default) disabled, to try and achieve some stability. The system will randomly lockup during use, not necessarily under heavy CPU load. Currently with the F4 bios if I enable the XMP function that the memory has it will not boot in to windows.

Memtest works correctly for two passes from a bootable CD

Prime95 fails if 4 threads are started (windows 7 multi thread problem?), but appears to work on a single thread.

A simulator I use has been left running for a couple of hours, only to start using the machine to surf the web and have it lockup. I have tried the latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com and the ones that came on the ASUS install disk.

Cpu-z appears to show that the CPU(2.67) and memory(1333) are running at the correct speeds.

Any sugestions?

Thanks

Nigel

Bios settings below have been my most successful so far....

CPU clock fixed 20X (2.66)

Turbo Boost Tech disabled

Block control enabled at 133

XMP profile (results in 1.65v Dram voltage)

System Memory multiplier set at 10 (1330)

Memory Performance Enhance STD

Results;

Using OCCT V3.1.0

CPU OCCT does 1hr test ok

CPU LINPACK 1Hr test ok

Prime95 runs for about 1.5hrs before failing.

Any advice or suggestions to make this memory work, I'm obviously getting closer!

Nigel

Hello,

Setting XMP to enable and fixing the Memory at 1333 does give the best results in my system, but it still cannot run flat out for any period of time.

I have used memtest several times and it does not produce any errors. I have left it running for 11 passes with no errors. It only seems to produce errors when the CPU is heavily loaded.

I still have Intel Turbo boost disabled, I have also tried entering the 1600 SPD data to fix the vales and run it at 1333 (XMP still enabled), with no real change.

I am now at the point of changing other components (I have already changed my PSU based on advice on the Gigabyte forum). But I guess its pot luck on where to spend more money... is the MB, RAM or CPU to blame...

Hi,

NigelR, try running your memory at 1066 using default voltages as that is the only way I've managed to get my system stable.

I've a Gigabyte P55-UD4, i7 860 and CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 in a new system build which I've been trying to get running stable for a week and a half now.

Memtest runs successfully at 1333 and 1600.

At 1600 (dual channel & the recommended higher voltages) the system hangs within minutes of loading Windows.

At 1333 (dual channel with both normal & higher voltages) it is slightly more stable - maybe an hour before it hangs. With the DIMMs in single channel mode (slots 1 and 2) the system is slightly more stable and with just a single DIMM (I've tried both DIMMs individually) it can stay up for 8 hours before hanging.

Although not an ideal solution, running the memory at 1066 has finally proved rock-solid for me. My system has now been running for 48 hours solid, the first 22 hours running the Prime95 torture test and the subsequent 26 hours running BOINC apps at 75% CPU usage.

Looks like there are a few issues with the Gigabyte P55 boards and the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 :(

Ran Prime95 for 9hrs with no errors at 1066!, I did have to use the XMP setting thou, as at the default 1.5 dram voltage the test failed after 0.5 hrs.

The previous night memtest ran for 11 passes at 1333 (xmp enabled) with no errors, but failed in Prime95 after a couple of hours.

I notice in thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82582 that the board used is a GA-55m-UD4 with the Dominator version of the memory, I presume this worked correctly?

• Corsair Employees
NigelR, I suspect the issue is caused by other components as we couldn't replicate this issue here at all. In fact, Gigabyte TW had done the same and the result came back to be clean (fully compatible). I wonder if you have tested the system with a different PSU yet.

I notice in thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82582 that the board used is a GA-55m-UD4 with the Dominator version of the memory, I presume this worked correctly?

Yes, it performed flawlessly. You many also want to remove your CPU and do a close visual inspection of the pins in the CPU socket. Then, also look at the impressions the pins have made on the contact pads on the CPU. Each pad should have a small impression of the pin pressed into the gold.

IT'S FIXED!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I have changed out the memory and it’s fixed! This is the first time I have been able to 'Load Optimized Defaults' and have the machine work correctly with the memory at 1333MHz. It has run Prime95 for 7 hours on 4 threads with no errors and passed the OCCT tests.

It is interesting to note that Memtest found no errors with the old memory at any speed, even when run for 10 hours, so this program cannot be completely relied upon to show all memory problems.

Thanks for your help

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Archived