Corsair Community

How to Lower CPU Temps?

Mlewis38

Does anyone have any ides on lowering CPU temps

got a i7 860

Push/Pull Config

Just browsing around the internet and got a few windows open im hitting around 34-32c. Fans around 900-12Rpm. CPU over clocked

only way i can get down to mid 20s is have both of my fans screaming at over 2000 Rpms. I am using the thermo compound that cam with the cooler, should i put some artic silver on it or something. Room is nice and cool

I used to have a Q6600 over clocked to like 3.1ghz Stock cooling Idle at 32-35c.

I mean i know 30 isnt much but i wana see how low i can make this baby

Any ideas?

I did want to Note with Prime95 for about 30 min cpu stayed around 59-61C with the fans full blast. so i mean it does keep the cool under 100% load but i just wanted some temps on how to lower it thanks.

yeah its a sniper storm, they remade the case this was the original one. So it diddnt come with a side fan just front and top. and as far as the psu what do u want me to put the fan facing down blowing on the metal so all the hot air goes back into the PSU

oh thats a shame about the side fan.

i thought the storm had a vent on the bottom where the psu goes so u could get cold air in and hot air out.

Sorry I was just curious thinking about getting me one of those.

back on topic, did u try / is it possible to mount the h50 on the bottom fan vent? if the hoses stretch then it could be a good solution. i think this because...

1. u can keep the air flowing well inside your case (front -> back, bottom -> top)

2. u can keep the cold air flowing over the cooler.

3. the fans in would be the same as the fans out (in: 120 + 200, out 120 + 200)

4. dust coming in and clogging the radiator would be less of a problem cause of the filter there.

you would probably want to turn the psu over so its drawing air from outside, instead of disturning ur airflow inside ur case.

if its possible, its a better solution than what u have now IMHO

so temps got a little better, the thermo compound is breaking in after a few days, day 3. Got the push/pull config. Stock fan in the back running around 800 rpms, due to the loud hum for some reason i got it turned down quite a bit. Then a cool master fan running on the other side at full blast 1,8000 rpms and its more quiet tell me that makes since lol. Then turned all the 200mm fans up, as u know they are wisper quiet and move ALOT of air!

Also did a bios update for some reason temps drop down, idk dont ask lol.

Then that little filter on the bottom i unscrewed and cut the excess off and mounted it behind the back fan so dust doest get in from the exaust.

so i got the filer/fan/cooler/fan ------>>

So im pretty happy, got some AS5 on the way.. Today ive seen temps drop to around 19 - 35C just doin some we browsing and light programs. Right now i got about 6 apps running and typing this hehe and im at about 33c.

Corsair H50

thank you, i assume nothing :)

i would mount the PSU upside down so you dont have to stretch that yellow/black cable so much.

as far as temps if thats a blowhole 120mm on top i would mount the rad there blowing up and out the top and get a nice 120mm and 100CFM+ fan blowing in on the back where the rad is now.

also AS5 is great, just give it 3 days to settle:)

so temps got a little better, the thermo compound is breaking in after a few days, day 3. Got the push/pull config. Stock fan in the back running around 800 rpms, due to the loud hum for some reason i got it turned down quite a bit. Then a cool master fan running on the other side at full blast 1,8000 rpms and its more quiet tell me that makes since lol. Then turned all the 200mm fans up, as u know they are wisper quiet and move ALOT of air!

Also did a bios update for some reason temps drop down, idk dont ask lol.

Then that little filter on the bottom i unscrewed and cut the excess off and mounted it behind the back fan so dust doest get in from the exaust.

so i got the filer/fan/cooler/fan ------>>

So im pretty happy, got some AS5 on the way.. Today ive seen temps drop to around 19 - 35C just doin some we browsing and light programs. Right now i got about 6 apps running and typing this hehe and im at about 33c.

nice work dude!

nice to note that synthohol argrees with me bout ur psu orientation.

see i dont understand

there are two little rubber strips for the psu to sit down, so if i flip the psu around the fan would just be blowwing into the psu and over heating it self, if the fan is up the air excapes, with fan down air goes no were right?

No,the fan sucks air thru the vent in the case below the psu and out the back of the psu.You have the psu sitting so its sucking hot air from inside the case thru the psu.Plus if you had the psu in right the 8 pin motherboard cable would reach around the back of the motherboard tray and plug in.

yeah i see what ya mean im just a little stubborn lol. So i decided to do a little cable management. So i made the cables nice n tight and finally got my arctic silver today. Just putting it on made a huge different. Just web browsing im 18-23c!!! Love it hehe take a look.

101_0016.thumb.jpg.4a05f9809c975b37a937e4b297f60723.jpg

Temps.jpg.jpg.cb44c1faa8cf03541e190cbf4222b1ca.jpg

I owe you guys a huge thanks!

Archived