Corsair Community

Corsair X256 no longer recognized in a Apple Mac Pro

marion

Hi to all,

i bought a new Apple Mac Pro with the standard 640GB SATA HDD (Snow Leopard preinstalled) and one additional Corsair X256 CMFSSD-256D1. Received the Corsair SSD and the Mac on Friday, 06.11.2009. I installed the SSD, proper detection, made one HFS+ partition on the SSD and installed Snow Leopard again on the SSD to work as my bootdisk. Worked perfect for three days, i used VMware Fusion 3 to host 2 Windows 2003 Servers, all on the SSD. Very good performance.

Yesterday morning the Mac hang, rebooting after powering off gets only a grey screen with a folder icon, rebooting with the OSX DVD shows the 640GB HDD, no SSD. I switched the positions of the disks, tried to recognize the SSD as the only disk in the Mac - no chance, the SSD has gone.

Is it possible to get the SSD back to my Mac and work proper for a longer time?

Thanks and bye,

Klaus

Hello RAM GUY

the number is 09320108-10045828.

I will test in another system, but how long? The SSD worked great for a few days in this system, i ordered this performant SSD to work in THIS Mac (cto/MB535D/A-4 Z0G1, 8-cores, 2.66GHz).

Meanwhile i tested in an external USB Case (ICY BOX IB-250StU, in Germany from Raidsonic) with different systems (1x HP Compaq Desktop dc5100 with XP SP3, 1x Lenovo 9265-8AG with XP SP3, 1x IBM Intellistation M Pro 9229-Z6H with Ubuntu Linux 8.04), no detection of the SSD in this case with this systems.

Meanwhile i installed and tested directly in a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 2767-F7G, no BIOS detection in this system

It seems as if the SSD has gone into the binary happy haunting ground!?!

Bye,

Klaus

Excuse me, but what are you doing, if someone has not the ability to try in a lot of different systems?

Corsair writes: "There are no known issues with Corsair SSDs and any SATA I or SATA II compatible platforms"

And now i should test and test and .... with a very expensive SSD drive (with very good performance, if it works)? And what is to do, if it works in one a PC, where i don´t need it?

Please, i need a solution for the X256 in a Mac. If this is not possible, declare the drive as NOT COMPATIBLE with Apple machines.

Bye,

Klaus

• Corsair Employees
I asked if you have that ability to test the drive in another system, I never said anything like that and I do not know where it is coming from. But I expect from that response that you do not and as such I would suggest asking the reseller to help you test the drive for you. But I would suggest only using our Performance series drives if you are having problems with your MAC.

Hi Ram Guy

today morning i wrote, that my last test was with a Lenovo Thinkpad T400, a normal (Windows-) Notebook. I swapped the original SATA HDD with the Corsair X256, the Lenovo BIOS did not recognized a drive. I think this is what you mean with a x-86 based system (all Macs i tried are also Intel based)?

I want the good performance and i paied for that, so here is my question. Is there a general issue with Extreme series and Mac or is this a particular case?

If this is a particular case, i would try another one.

Have you any idea that you can tell me, why this happens?

Bye,

Klaus

Sorry for my bad english, i´m from Germany and use english only in e-mails.

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest using the performance series drives with any MAC; the X-Series do offer some performance enhancements but seem to be more problematic with BIOS less systems like the Apple and Mac platforms. However there almost no issues reported with our performance series drives and any Mac or Apple system.

However if you want to try replacing the drive, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

Archived