Corsair Community

Airflow design for my new rig

mogwa1

I am just in the process of building a new i7 based pc. I have decided on the P183 for a case and the Corsair H50 as the cpu cooler. I will probably put a fan on each side of the radiator.

The design for the airflow I have come up with is shown below.

What do you guys think.

http://www.russweb.co.uk/airflow.jpg

• Corsair Employee
the hole on top should blow out. heat rises and the case will benefit from the top vent.

I would agree. And if you reverse the airflow of the fans with the H50 so that the air is blowing into the case you will get lower CPU temps.

the hole on top should blow out. heat rises and the case will benefit from the top vent.

this doesnt work quite that way. airflow is directed by the fans. it goes where its blown. the "heat rises" theory isnt applicable here.

i would swap the h50 fans to intake and the blowhole to exhaust. airflow in that case isnt the best.

this doesnt work quite that way. airflow is directed by the fans. it goes where its blown. the "heat rises" theory isnt applicable here.

i would swap the h50 fans to intake and the blowhole to exhaust. airflow in that case isnt the best.

Heat rising is not a theory, it's a proven scientific fact. So, you are going to need a significant amount of airflow to overcome the laws of physics here meaning a loud high RPM fan. The fan blowing downward from the top will be forcing cool air directly against warm air that will be rising through the case.

However, as you note the case itself has an effect on all this. My suggestion is to set the system up and try the fans in both directions where applicable and compare temperatures. Just make sure your ambient temp is the same to eliminate that as a variable.

Archived