Corsair Community

Asus Eee 1101HA and SSD

heppstars

Hi,

I bought a Corsair Performance 64GB SSD in hope for a better performance on a ultraportable laptop from Asus. Bios sees the SSD and after a disk to disk copy from orginal OS drive to SSD it won't boot. Neither is it possible to do a clean OS install from USB because Win7 cannot see the disk. I get to the point where Win7 install ask for a drive I want to install the OS. When I do a diskcopy from original disk to another SATA disk, it will boot with no problem, so there can be no problem with diskcopy software, unless there is another way to deal with SSD disks. Strange thing is that copy software tells me verify went OK.

I thought SSD disks from Corsair would perfectly pretent to be an ordnary HD so that migration to SSD would be as painless as possible.

Is there a driver from Corsair?

Do I get any help from Corsair?

• Corsair Employees

I have a MSI Wind U110 and this Netbook needs a driver first to find the SSD due to the fact the SSD is connected via PCI to SATA. As long as the Eee 1101AH uses the same chipset this will be your solution: implement the driver (simply use a USB-Stick)during the Win7 install and the SSD then will be found

I am not sure which driver the ASUS Eee1101HA uses (havent found any on their website - eventually it comes with the driver cd?) but for my Wind I am fine using the PCIe driver in the MSI Wind U110 download section.

I have a MSI Wind U110 and this Netbook needs a driver first to find the SSD due to the fact the SSD is connected via PCI to SATA.

Thnx for your fast respond. I will try your suggestion even though I find it strange if it turns out to be a working sollution. I mean, if it needs a driver for the pci2sata conversion, why is it that SSD disk won't boot after OS was copied at low level to SSD disk? Drivers doesn't bound to certain hardware, does it? Anyways, I will come back and tell how it went.

• Corsair Employees

I unerstand your point but I have no clue to be honest. I also had it once that a HD to SSD clone using Acronis did not work at all. A complete new Win7 install did the trick for me.

Btw. It could be that you wil be limited to SATA1 - at least I am and the Wind U110 uses the same chipset (eventually different pcie2sata device) - splease keep in mind that this could result to slower speed rates (but anyway the SSD will be a huge improvement over the slow HD).

I unerstand your point but I have no clue to be honest. I also had it once that a HD to SSD clone using Acronis did not work at all. A complete new Win7 install did the trick for me.

Btw. It could be that you wil be limited to SATA1 - at least I am and the Wind U110 uses the same chipset (eventually different pcie2sata device) - splease keep in mind that this could result to slower speed rates (but anyway the SSD will be a huge improvement over the slow HD).

The driver solved the problem not seeing the SSD disk, but it didn't help a low level copy to boot, even though I injected the dll driver into active driver folder before low level copy. When I injected driver into OEM Win7 install before making a USB bootable, I was not able to install Win7 that came with the machine, not because I couldn't see the SSD, but because this version insists that OEM Win7 wim file to be located on a DVD, which I don't have on my Eee 1101HA. This may have worked if I was not resistent against going back to the old world aquiring a USB DVD drive.

Anyways, I don't know if my laptop got SATA 1 or 2. I was able to copy 1100MB in 10 sec when copying from and to the same disk. If it was a HD this would scream for SATA2, but not necessary for SSD. This depend on whether or not this SSD is able to read and write at the same time. If it is, I should get twice the speed. If not, my test is just about where it should be and there is no way to find out by copy tests if it's SATA 1 or 2. Maybe I drop Asus an email to find out. Before it took 178 seconds to copy win\system32 (2700 files to another location. With this SSD it was done in 58. On a desktop with 7200rpm it's about 120secs. When copying a 1GB file, I get about the same difference.

Thnx for your hint about the driver.

Archived