Corsair Community

Can i run 4 modules of ram?

superduty

My mobo is the P5Q3 Deluxe.

I am currently running 2x1gb of ram. I purchased 2x2gb of ram. Can i install the 2x2gb in addition to the 2x1gb? Or do I have to remove the 2x1gb and ONLY use the 2x2gb.

I am currently running Corsair XMS3

I purchased the exact same ram, but in 2x2gb configuration. The new ram is TW3X4G1333C9DHX

The specs of the 2x1gb and the 2x2gb appear to be identical, but for the actual amount of ram in each.

If I can run all 4 sticks, will there be any problems?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks

Well, i decided to install all 4 sticks of ram after reading some other stuff on the net. The computer posted and booted - yay.

So my question now is, if the computer is working is there any reason to fool with the BIOS settings. All the BIOS settings are set to factory defaults - which means most settings are "AUTO."

Do I need to increase the NB voltage or anything else, now that I have 6gb of ram occupying all 4 DIMM slots?

TIA

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ram Guy, thanks for the guidance. Sorry for my ignorance:

NB = Northbridge?

MCH = ??

SPP = ??

If the computer is running, is there any reason to tweak these settings. I am after stability with performance, but I dont want a system that I have to mess with regularly.

And finally, is there any problem with running RAM in the combination I am running it?

Page 3-21 of your manual shows NB Voltage aka North Bridge Voltage. NB= Intel's MCH aka memory controller hub.

Yellowbeard:

Thanks for your patience with the newbee that i clearly am!

If the computer is working, is there any good reason to mess with these parameters? Should I just leave everything at default - which is "auto"?

Yellowbeard:

Thanks for your patience with the newbee that i clearly am!

If the computer is working, is there any good reason to mess with these parameters? Should I just leave everything at default - which is "auto"?

Everyone was a newbee at one time, no worries.

If it's working to your satisfaction then there is no need to adjust it. In some instances adjusting the memory controller voltage is necessary at stock but mostly, it is used for OCing. Mixing memory the way you have is not advised but, the only way to know for sure is to install and test.

Mixing the memory sizes was my initial concern! From what I have gathered, mixing memory is not advisable since it hasnt been tested by the mfg in that way. Since it works in my machine, is there any reason to NOT continue using it? I havent run the memory testing program yet. I didnt install a floppy drive when I built this computer, so I think i need to do the memtest using a cd-r?

Mixing the memory sizes was my initial concern! From what I have gathered, mixing memory is not advisable since it hasnt been tested by the mfg in that way. Since it works in my machine, is there any reason to NOT continue using it? I havent run the memory testing program yet. I didnt install a floppy drive when I built this computer, so I think i need to do the memtest using a cd-r?

The only danger is instability. There is no risk of physical damage. You can download a premade ISO for Memtest 4.0 from http://www.memtest.org or you can use a bootable USB flash drive.

Archived