Corsair Community

Blown PSU took out other components?

kadrum

Hi guys,

I was watching a movie on my computer last night, when there was an almighty BANG, followed by the fuse for my end of the house blowing, and a very distinctive burnt circuitry smell which filled my room. Hoping (yeah, i know, pretty low chance, but still) that nothing had actually blown, i tried to turn my computer back on, but it wouldn't turn on.

This morning, i returned my HX620 power supply, and the company i bought it off happily replaced it, and my computer turns on again, however now it won't boot, blue screening each time with a Hard Fault because of a corrupt ntdll.dll file. Startup repair can't fix it, and when i ran a windows memtest it found multiple unrecoverable errors....

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. It seems clear to me that when the power supply went, it has taken some other components with it :(. Bearing in mind that i can't currently boot into windows, are there any programs i can run in order to diagnose exactly what has failed? Also, with regards to the blown power supply, does the warranty cover any extra damaged components if it does fail?

Thanks

This morning, i returned my HX620 power supply, and the company i bought it off happily replaced it, and my computer turns on again, however now it won't boot, blue screening each time with a Hard Fault because of a corrupt ntdll.dll file. Startup repair can't fix it, and when i ran a windows memtest it found multiple unrecoverable errors....

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. It seems clear to me that when the power supply went, it has taken some other components with it :(. Bearing in mind that i can't currently boot into windows, are there any programs i can run in order to diagnose exactly what has failed? Also, with regards to the blown power supply, does the warranty cover any extra damaged components if it does fail?

Thanks

Sounds to me like it's obviously took out the memory, totally based on you saying you ran Windows MEMtest which presumably tests memory?

Try some new ram and let us know how you get on.

By the way just out of interest, what else was your computer doing when you were watching the movie (as in was it doing anything in the background while you were watching the movie?) also can you please list the COMPLETE spec of your PC here so I have a bit more info to work with.

Thank you.

EDIT: Just looked at your PC specs actually by the drop down box that tells me! And you seem to be running a lot off that one power supply including 4 hard drives! 8 gb of memory AND a GTX 260! Maybe that's partly the reason it blew in the 1st place?

• Corsair Employees

When you attempt to boot the system up do you get anything on the screen at all? Does the system attempt to boot and then shut itself back off or does it stay on with all the fans spinning?

On a side note, the HX620 definitely has enough power for your system.

It powers on fine, and i can access the bios settings etc, but it blue screens halfway to loading windows. If it helps at all the code i get is c0000221, Hard Fault Error. Then it says something about windows/system32/ntdll.dll. I tried to get windows to fix it with startup repair, but it didn't work.

Other forum posts i've found elsewhere suggest that problem could also be caused by fried RAM. I have some spare chips lying around, i'll put them in today and let you know how i get on.

Also, when i first turned it on after replacing the psu, it couldn't find the hard drive to boot off... I ended up having to plug that drive into a different SATA port for it to find it again.

As for what else the computer was doing, as far as i know the only other programs running were Steam, MSN, and maybe a few tabs open in Firefox. If the power supply was going to blow under stress, it seems like it would be much more likely to do that while gaming than under that relatively small load.

Other forum posts i've found elsewhere suggest that problem could also be caused by fried RAM. I have some spare chips lying around, i'll put them in today and let you know how i get on.

I would almost definitely say from everything you've posted and the fact you get thousands of ram errors that it is the ram lol :bigeyes:.

So let us know how you get on AFTER you've changed the ram over for known good ram that's undamaged and after you've run memtest again with the known good ram.

• Corsair Employees
I would almost definitely say from everything you've posted and the fact you get thousands of ram errors that it is the ram lol :bigeyes:.

So let us know how you get on AFTER you've changed the ram over for known good ram that's undamaged and after you've run memtest again with the known good ram.

I would agree with Ravenheart, let us know if you still have problems with the other memory!

Corsair should be able to replace your memory quickly, but for testing purposes if you are willing to do it, find some cheap memory just 1 stick will do and try to boot. See if you can, Windows might be corrupt and you may end up needing to reinstall. I have had this happen before, memory went out and whatever was loaded into memory from windows got corrupt and I was required to do a repair install. I'm not too familiar with the options Windows 7 has for you to repair an instillation.

Ok i've tried with other memory, but no luck :( looks like its the motherboard after all.

Just for my own interest, i tested each of the ram chips that were in there at the time individually with memtest 86+, and they all appeared to pass the tests (in any slot of the motherboard), but i found that putting more than one ram chip in, in any combination, would cause errors to be found. This is also the case with my spare, unaffected ram modules. :(

I was wondering, is there any part of the corsair warranty on my psu which would cover me for this? I know the tests i have run are hardly absolute proof that the power supply caused this, but im just curious as to who i would need to chase up to replace the affected parts, or if its just gunna have to be an insurance claim... So if a corsair power supply is faulty, and in the process of failing manages to damage other components of a computer, will corsair accept the responsibility for the damage? I don't say this to cause a fuss or anything, i still have absolute confidence in corsair products and will continue to use them, i'm just wondering where to go from here...

also, just as an aside... might wanna check out your tab ordering on the login for the forums. At the moment, when i put in my username and push tab, it jumps me halfway down the screen to a random link, rather than taking me to the password entry box :P.

It's moving the cursor down to the 2nd login box at the bottom of the forum. LONG story short, the 2nd navbar was a Corsair request :)

vB4 Beta 3 (first public release) just came out last night, so I'll remember to check that out on it.

Archived