Corsair Community

800D case: positive or negative air pressure?

x509

Let's assume that the case fans for my 800D system has been changed from the stock setup:

rear fan blows in.

fan for the two drives in the bottom bay

triple radiator with fans, exact model tbd but probably about 50-60 CFM each.

Bottom 120 fan replaced with the same fan type used in for the radiator.

(also the Corsair fan for the DDR3 RAM.)

Without doing any calculations, this would seem to result in a negative air pressure in the case. Is this "good" or "not good?" :confused: Should I use bottom and back fans that together have more CFM than the three radiator fans?

I've read that with negative air pressure in your case, you end up sucking in dust through the optical drive, case vents, etc. In practice , is this a real problem?

I have noticed that with a triple rad installed on the top of your case, you cannot force enough air through the stock 140mm case cans. Air will still come in through the vents located at the top and bottom of the case near the bottom pci slot.

What I did was turn my rear exhaust fan backwards and make my own dust filter for it, I also made some dust filters to cover the vents on the rear of the case and I no longer have any problems with dust getting into my case from anywhere. Although I might put some really thin foam tap along the backside of the windowed panel where it contacts the rear of the case.

I am using the stock 140mm fans and 3 scythe s-flex sff21e fans on the rad pushing about 49 cfm. I would like to upgrade these fans the next time I flush my fluid, and maybe run 6 fans on the rad.

I have noticed that with a triple rad installed on the top of your case, you cannot force enough air through the stock 140mm case cans. Air will still come in through the vents located at the top and bottom of the case near the bottom pci slot.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

What I did was turn my rear exhaust fan backwards and make my own dust filter for it, I also made some dust filters to cover the vents on the rear of the case and I no longer have any problems with dust getting into my case from anywhere. Although I might put some really thin foam tap along the backside of the windowed panel where it contacts the rear of the case.

I like the fact that you made dust filters for the case vents. What kind of material did you use?

I am using the stock 140mm fans and 3 scythe s-flex sff21e fans on the rad pushing about 49 cfm. I would like to upgrade these fans the next time I flush my fluid, and maybe run 6 fans on the rad.

I know it's not germane to my original question, but why are you looking to replace the radiator fans and add three more?

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I like the fact that you made dust filters for the case vents. What kind of material did you use?

I know it's not germane to my original question, but why are you looking to replace the radiator fans and add three more?

For the dust filters, I took a thin piece of cardboard and traced out the vents that needed to be covered, I then took these templates and traced them onto old DVD cases which were black and cut them out with a dremel tool. I covered one side with pantyhose and stuck them in place with some really thin double sided tape.

As for the fans on my rad, I have a working fan controller now, so i want to upgrade them to a higher CFM fan and reduce the speed as needed, and increase the speed for stress testing and such. Plus I plan on adding a second rad (1x140mm) to the rear of the case and tossing my video cards into the loop aswell, this wont happen until Nvidia releases its 300 series cards.

For the dust filters, I took a thin piece of cardboard and traced out the vents that needed to be covered, I then took these templates and traced them onto old DVD cases which were black and cut them out with a dremel tool. I covered one side with pantyhose and stuck them in place with some really thin double sided tape.

Sounds good. Are you talking about the plastic "jewel boxes?" I was also thinking that I could use some old pantyhose for filter material. Now all I have to do is explain to my wife WHY I need her old pantyhose. :D: :D: :D:

As for the fans on my rad, I have a working fan controller now, so i want to upgrade them to a higher CFM fan and reduce the speed as needed, and increase the speed for stress testing and such. Plus I plan on adding a second rad (1x140mm) to the rear of the case and tossing my video cards into the loop aswell, this wont happen until Nvidia releases its 300 series cards.

Sounds great. Which fan controller?

I also like the idea of using fans that can reach a high CFM when needed, but slow down to very quiet when the system is not under stress.:biggrin:

Archived