Corsair Community

2 kits of TR3X6G1333C9 and Asus Rampage II Gene instability issues

Mahlon

Hi all,

Can some kind soul help setting the timing right for this memory/motherboard combination.

I've been reading this forum and all posts related to this memory, but I'm still having problems with my Rampage II Gene and 12 gigs TR3X6G1333C9 RAM. Windows will lock up (no blue screen, just lock) or automatically reboot when copying files from one drive to another. Sometimes Windows will not boot at all. Sometimes, not all the memory is recognized in Windows, though it is in the bios.

These are the things I've done so far:

• I've tested the memory (all 12 gigs at once) with memtest86+ several times and have not received any errors.
  • The default for memory in the bios is 1066. With this setting, I was having many more problems. I switched to 1333, and things got better, but still the randomness of the problems continues, though less so.
  • I've reordered the modules in the sockets but to no avail.
  • I've tried just 3 modules (so, 6 gigs) but have have still had lockups, etc.
  • I've tried just one module. Now this was the only time I haven't had lockups or reboots. But I haven't done extensive testing (copying/moving files/stress test, etc) with just the one.

Should I test the modules individually? In the same slot?

If there are specific timings/settings I should try, I'd love to hear them.

I'm pretty new to the RAM timing issues (have never had to deal with it before), and I'm not interested in overclocking -- just in getting a stable system going.

Thanks for you help.

Mahlon

The freeze or hang seems to be happening, or at least I can reproduce it when I'm copying files from one hard drive to another consistently. I've scanned the hard drives for bad sectors -- but everything is fine with them.

I'm copying the same folder now in Safe Mode to see if the computer freezes.

Mahlon

That sounds correct. What is the default and what are the options? IIRC, it runs upwards from approximately 1.2v to 1.36v, to 1.53v, etc etc. But again it's been a long time.

Another thing, make sure your NB is VERY well cooled. The stock sink on this board is barely adequate IMO when running 4 modules and the extra voltage.

The IOH voltage control goes from 1.11341 to 1.39166, then from 1.40491 to 1.64341, then from 1.65666 on up to 2.19991. All this in .01325v interval.

Right now, I've got just the stock cooling. I can change that once I get the system stable enough to know whether I have hardware problems or not.

It's better to keep as low of a voltage as possible right?

Thanks for your help.

Mahlon

---- as a side note, I re-ran memory test last night for 16 hours, 8 passes with no errors.

Now, I'm unable to get Windows to boot with any settings. It hangs during loading, even with the settings which allowed it to load yesterday. I've reloaded default settings in bios and still nothing. I'm going to clear the cmos and see if it that helps.

Mahlon

Ok. Thanks. I'll look for that.

Meanwhile, I cleared cmos, and running the memory at 1066 and raising the dram voltage to 1.65, as per Wired suggestion, and things seem to be stable so far. No hanging/freezing yet....

running prime95 now....

But I'd like to eventually be able to get the memory running at 1333.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks. I'll do that. Why are we testing just four modules? Should I test the other two separately? Sorry, I'm such newbie at this memory timing, I'm assuming that testing four modules is ground zero -- the very first place to start?

Thanks,

Mahlon

Ok, thanks. By nb/mch/spp, I think RAM GUY is telling me to set the northbridge (IOH), but option for setting this starts at 1.1134. Does he mean to add +.05 to the already existing value?

Mahlon

He's referring to the memory controller. I'd suggest you start at the stock memory controller voltage and increase it is 1 step increments until you are stable or until you hit about 1.5v. Don't go over 1.5v for sure. If it's not stable before then, voltage will not resolve this.

Yesterday, I ran mem test, everything stable at 1066, memory controller at 1.4 and dram at 1.65. Took the computer home (from work) and ran prime95 all night with no errors. Copied files, moved folders, etc. no freezes or lockups.

But now, the strange thing is, I bring the compute back to work this morning, turn it on, and the first thing I get when copying a file folder is a freeze. Computer and screen lock....

Now, might I have another problem besides memory. In other words, during this whole convalescence period, the only time the computer has ever locked up or frozen is when copying file folders from one drive to another, and also sometimes not booting windows at all. It's never failed a mem test, or prime95.

Do you think I may have some other kind of problem (aside from the somewhat finicky memory timings for the Rampage)?

Thanks for all your help.

M.

Thanks Wired. Well, I've gotten everything working pretty stably now. Thought I would post back in case it may apply to someone else's situation.

While all the memory was passing the memtest86+ with no errors, and prime95 was presenting no errors, there was one particular RAM module which did not like to be seated in slot A1. If I tried to boot windows with just the one module in A1, Windows would hang and have freezes. Moving it into a different slot seemed to correct that.

Also, (and I had learned this from another poster) the order of SATA connections to this motherboard has an effect on booting. I had had my DVD drive connected to SATA 2, the system drive being connected to SATA 1. The other drives (2) were connected after the DVD drive to SATA 3 and SATA 4. I was having weird random reboots and, of course, the file copying problems. When I changed my DVD drive to be the last in the line (to SATA 4), things improved.

It was difficult to measure exactly what caused what to improve as I didn't go about the whole thing scientifically. But these two factors were relevant.

I still had bump the QPI to 1.3 and the dram voltage to 1.65 so that the board would see all 12 gigs of RAM as was suggested by a couple of you here.

Thanks for all the help and wish me luck in continuing stability. I'll feel more confident in a week or two -- if I have no freezes -- but for now things seem ok.

Thanks,

Mahlon

I have the same mobo and having the exact same problems. Seems to be a voltage/timing issue for me as well. I've tried a lot of different timings and voltages but nothing stops the random freezes. I get the same problem transferring large files from one hard drive to another, or just using the Internet or even while trying to enter my password for Windows 7. The only way I have been able to get it to run stable is to set the RAM at 800Mhz and let the mobo set everything else automatically at this speed. When I run it like this I get absolutely no freezes. 1066 and 1333 does not work. I've replaced the RAM and the new chips did the same thing. Memtest doesn't find any errors.

EDIT: I've entered my system PC specs.

So my question is: Isn't it weird that my system would be 100% stable when running the memory at 800MHz but has constant freezes at anything faster when its rated at 1333MHz? Does running it at 800MHz really affect me very much performance-wise since the timings are much better than 1333MHz?

Scarred,

Thanks for posting your experience. Are you using the i7 920? With 12 Gigs RAM? As the folks here have suggestied, I've found that DRAMM voltage of about 1.75 and QPI of about 1.35 seems to make my system more stable --- that's at 1066.

Mahlon

Archived