Corsair Community

Random Freeze

BlackLoTuS

Hello,

I've been experiencing random freezes with my computer, and I think that I have narrowed down the problem to be something related to my memories...

When a freeze occurs the only response the computer reacts to is holding down the power button till it restarts. No error messages have ever occurred. The sound also hangs to the note/sound that was just recently played from the speakers.

This problem has been going on a long while and I've tried different OS (Vista, Win7 both with 32 and 64 bit), replaced my hdd,changed my power supply,my Sound Card,my CPU and my MotherBoard! Bios has been updated and all my drivers are up to date. I've installed extra cooling on my CPU, a TRUE 120 and it maintains a lower temperature all the time, so the freezes are not heat related. I've run several passes with memtest86 (12 hours in a row and no errors showed up), and also tried prime95 and Linx 50 passes Each

My thought right now is that some kind of tuning (increasing the voltage over them, or changing the latency in some way) might resolve my problem - and I think that this is my last resort. Could someone please advice since I do not have any experience in tuning memories with motherboards? I have leaved the memory stuffs on Auto in this Asus P5E3 Premium Bios(9,9,9,24) and played with the Voltage, from Auto till now I´m on 1.7V.I don´t know the max safe V of this memory and I have changed about everything what could be change,without the memories.Last resort is to change them,that the source of my Problem in this moment are this memories!!!Could someone Help my with them, to give them the last try to find out maybe there might be a setting for them to not freeze my PC? I have not overclocked my PC, everything is on Stock!!Asus P5E3 premium with Q9550 on 2,8Ghz stock.tested eveything and its100% stable, just this random freezes with this pair memories.Also want to mention that with a pair of other DDR3 1600 my PC works fine,no freeze in 7 days of testing, but this memorie was bought from a frined just to test my memories!.All components have been changed,without the memory and this freeze was with all other component! Thanks for you help, I will apreciate it! Thanks,Steffi!

Hi

I had the exact same issue with the freeze and lound sound coming through the speakers. The noise is so loud you think it will break the speakers. With me i removed 4gb of ram and the issue dissapeared. The other potential problem is the creative sound drivers (google sound of death) but i read on a recent article that they tried to recreate this problem in the lab and the cause of the sound of death was an issue with the bus on the motherboard (i think dont quote me) .

When is the SOD occouring, in high graphics rendering or on the desktop?

Please do not bump a thread within 24 hours, especially before they've had a chance to see either post. Keep in mind they're -8 GMT. Also please do not double post in multiple forums.

Can't verify the max voltage without an actual part number for your memory, but it should be listed in the FAQ area.

Hello Wired, sorry for double posting..I have searched the details for mz Corsair Memorie.It`s Corsair 4Gb (2X2) 1333MHZ CL9 XMS3 DHX Dual Channel Kit..Thank you very much and sorry again for double posting..

Hello Richardf,this problem happens randomly, I don`t know when I should expect in.In this moment I`m running with Asus Xonar, I have changed all possible component in my sistem before I came to the last point..memory issues!!

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 1.7 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Good Morning RamGuy... Thanks for your reply...I´ve tested Both ram together/separate and I receive the same error, all Memtest from the 1st 5 sec goes red on stock 1333Mhz, manual timing 9-9-9-24 and 1.7V...Thats why I have asked about the max Safe voltage.I have tried 1600Mhz with 1.8 and received the error just after 10min of mem test!I can try to go higher with voltage but I don´t know whats the max.maybe 1.9/2.0 ??..I have tested my sistem with other RAM, there was no problem with the test an my PC was running for the past 2Month 24 hour without restart!Regarding your RMA..I think is not possible, I´m from Romania,my Local guarante was 1 Year and this is gone allready last Month!

Archived