Corsair Community

XMS2 Corsair 2*2GB DDR2 1066MHZ - shown as 800MHz

Yigalb

CPU-Z (an other reporting software) reported the XMS2 Corsair 2*2GB DDR2 1066MHZ memory I have as 800MHz. Is it because the reporting software isn't updated or should I set something in the BIOS?

I use Gigabyte GAMA790X-UD4P-AM2+ AMD board with Phenom II 720 T.C. AM3 CPU.

• Corsair Employees
That is normal the modules SPD has to be set to something the MB will post at with default voltage and the tested settings would need to be manually set and you CPU would have to support DDr1066 or be over clocked.

CPU-Z (an other reporting software) reported the XMS2 Corsair 2*2GB DDR2 1066MHZ memory I have as 800MHz. Is it because the reporting software isn't updated or should I set something in the BIOS?

I use Gigabyte GAMA790X-UD4P-AM2+ AMD board with Phenom II 720 T.C. AM3 CPU.

With CPU-Z ver 1.52, compare the SPD tab to the MEMORY tab.

I attached the picture of CPU-Z.

The support center of the seller told me to change into 5-5-5-5-15, with 2.1V.

This results with no boot at all.

I cleared CMOS, changed to Ganged - and this is what can be seen in the pic attached.

The BIOS is reporting 800MHz at POST stage (before XP boots).

The CPU and MB can support 1066.

How can I gain this speed?

Any idea how to continue from this stage?

CPUz pic 20 nov 09 memory B.zip

You'll need to manually set the memory speed in your BIOS. Please refer to the BIOS section of your manual.

I tried that before I asked the forum's help - I read the manual. I didn't find any guidelines for that. The problem is that I have 3 parameters: the CPU (AM3 Phenom II), MB (Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P) and 2 memory stick (XMS2 Corsair 2*2GB DDR2 1066 MHZ). The manual doesn't say how to integrate.

What parameters should I change in the BIOS in order to make this memory work at 1066? and how will I recognize that it works at this speed?

I tried that before I asked the forum's help - I read the manual. I didn't find any guidelines for that. The problem is that I have 3 parameters: the CPU (AM3 Phenom II), MB (Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P) and 2 memory stick (XMS2 Corsair 2*2GB DDR2 1066 MHZ). The manual doesn't say how to integrate.

What parameters should I change in the BIOS in order to make this memory work at 1066? and how will I recognize that it works at this speed?

If your manual is not clear on how to adjust the memory frequency, please contact Gigabyte. They hide some of their more advanced BIOS options and they should be able to clarify to you how to resolve this.

Once you set your BIOS properly, boot to the OS and run the latest version of CPU-Z. Look at the MEMORY tab and you should see 533mhz.

Once you set your BIOS properly, boot to the OS and run the latest version of CPU-Z. Look at the MEMORY tab and you should see 533mhz.

I already contacted Gigabyte, and I am waiting for their response (they aren't as fast as this forum.....).

But I am still missing something - shouldn't the BIOS be set according to the memory's spec?

I was sure that the parameters should be given by the memory vendor.

After all, the setup/hold/delay etc are known to the memory vendor, and the MB should work accordingly.

The memory has to be able to boot and run at a default speed of DDR800 and at 1.8v. The first time your system starts or after clearing the BIOS, your motherboard is set to run 800 @ 1.8v. So, the memory must be able to do this or the system will not start.

I understand.

And assuming the MB supports 1066, what are the values that I should set in the BIOS so the memory will run at 1066 for the specific memory sticks of Corsair (twin 2X2048 8500 C5C)?

5-5-5-5-15, with 2.1V for the memory voltage, 1066 for memory frequency.

This configuration caused the PC not to boot - not even the BIOS.

See my comment about that above.

What does it mean? does it mean the memory is bad?

or should I try another configuration?

Is there a formal written guide from Corsair that explains how to use the memories?

What does it mean? does it mean the memory is bad?

or should I try another configuration?

Is there a formal written guide from Corsair that explains how to use the memories?

If the memory runs at a slower speed but will not run when you overclock your CPU to run 1066 then it means that your BIOS is not set correctly or, your system is not capable of running this speed. Based on what you have posted, you need technical assistance from Gigabyte or some guidance for OCing the system you have.

There is no formal guide from Corsair on OCing as it is impossible to write a guide for every different motherboard and BIOS. We provide the tested memory settings. It is up to the end user to assemble the correct hardware to run them at their specifications and set the BIOS accordingly.

I'd suggest you check some enthusiast forums and see if you find the same or similar MOBO+CPU setup that you have.

I noticed that speed is half of the desired memory speed. Can you explain the ratio? Is it external bus speed vs. internal memory speed?

All DDR memory (Dual Data Rate) transfers data 2 times per clock cycle hence the name, dual data rate. As Wired noted, 1066 is the effective transfer rate. 533 is the actual frequency.

Archived