Corsair Community

Need help with Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R

CSato

Aloha Everybody!

It's my first post and I’m in the Win7 (64-bit) upgrade process. Things didn’t go really smooth, but it’s working now. I was (am) running another brand of good quality memory with 2 sticks of 1gb RAM in slots 1 and 3 dual channel. Under XP Home this has worked fine for a year and a half.

During the Win7 installation, I kept getting failures. First there was an entirely black screen with only a blinking curser in the corner, then a stuck at “starting windows’ screen, and then finally a BSOD. Different errors for each installation attempt. Finally, after reading some forums etc. I unplugged one monitor and one stick of RAM and viola! It installed without a hitch. When I added the second stick of RAM into slot 3, BSOD. I moved the RAM to slots 2 and 4 and I have a working PC with 2gb of RAM.

I was going to order another 2gb kit to get a total of 4gb, but am now worried that the 1 + 3 slot will give me problems. But, looking at your excellent product compatibility matrix, I see I only have a few choices in RAM for my GA-EP45-DS3r (using f11e beta bios). It looks like I have to go with 2 ea. 2Gb kits for a total of 4MB. Is this correct? Any thoughts why Win7 would ‘reject’ RAM and slots that had been working fine one hour before? Could it be a 64-bit thing?

Aloha,

Colin

Thank you for the reply! You are correct. When I first looked, it was at home, but an my work machine, I seemed to get less results. Strange. At this point, I'm more interested in stability than outright speed. Of the top two recommendations TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF or TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX is one going to be more stable? Looking at the Gigabyte site, their (much older) memory compatibility site seems to be populated by a lot of DS modules, is there any way to find out of the two above are DS or SS? - Aloha!

• 2 weeks later...
Wanted to stop by to let everyone know how things went. I ended up with a 2 gig kit of Dominator RAM that is working happily in slots 2+4. My other two sticks of Other brand RAM is working fine in slots 1+3. Strangely these are the same slots they were happy (then unhappy) in earlier. It makes you shrug your shoulders but not think too hard about it since that could break it again. Thanks for the help

Archived