Corsair Community

Why does my memory keep failing?

HRV

Hi all,

I have a weird issue at hand.

For months now I have been puzzled by an unstable system. Memory has been exchanged already, Mobo has been replaced, Vista re-installed, KET's Bios used for better mem support, etc. Still after a week or a month my problems return.

When I start out, I have a system that is stable and can run memtest for over 24 hours without a problem.

Then after some time (some being a few days to a few weeks) my system crashes, BSOD always refers to memory and Memtest will immediately show lots and lots of errors.

When I completely power off the PC for 10 minutes or more and power back on, Memtest will usually run fine without errors.

I tuned NB and DDR voltages.

NB at 1.3V and Mem at 1.2 ran fine for 9 passes of Memtest and then still failed on me the day after in Vista.

Power off, power back on a bit later and Memtest runs fine.

I sure hope someone can explain this, as this is driving me crazy. All tips are more than welcome!

Hi all,

I have a weird issue at hand.

For months now I have been puzzled by an unstable system. Memory has been exchanged already, Mobo has been replaced, Vista re-installed, KET's Bios used for better mem support, etc. Still after a week or a month my problems return.

When I start out, I have a system that is stable and can run memtest for over 24 hours without a problem.

Then after some time (some being a few days to a few weeks) my system crashes, BSOD always refers to memory and Memtest will immediately show lots and lots of errors.

When I completely power off the PC for 10 minutes or more and power back on, Memtest will usually run fine without errors.

I tuned NB and DDR voltages.

NB at 1.3V and Mem at 1.2 ran fine for 9 passes of Memtest and then still failed on me the day after in Vista.

Power off, power back on a bit later and Memtest runs fine.

I sure hope someone can explain this, as this is driving me crazy. All tips are more than welcome!

Hello,

My guess is your PSU supplying incorrect voltages, can you test it?

It may or may not be relevent in your testing but, you must disable Legacy USB Support to get accurate Memtest results on most ASUS motherboards.

Yes I have it disabled. Memtest is currently running again, 9 passes no problems, I'll leave it overnight.

Hello,

My guess is your PSU supplying incorrect voltages, can you test it?

I think so, but this has been happening with two independent PSU's.

Could it be that ASUS is delivering wrong voltages to memory? I have heard both rumors about ASUS overvolting and undervolting, but I do not know where to measure the memory voltages.

Memtest ran 20 passes without a hitch.

Can anyone answer my original question?

Why do I always have memtest errors after a BSOD, but not ever when I power off the system for about 10 minutes?

What would this behavior suggest?

Memtest ran 20 passes without a hitch.

Can anyone answer my original question?

Why do I always have memtest errors after a BSOD, but not ever when I power off the system for about 10 minutes?

What would this behavior suggest?

The northbridge holds the memory controller. When it gets hot it might start throwing memory errors out. When it's cool, such as after a shutdown you will be ok. Have you tried this memory in another system/motherboard and ruled out the memory? That's the only thing you could try that would diagnose it. Your motherboard could essentially be killing your memory as well. This has been somewhat common on Nvidia chipsets (680i for example) but I haven't heard about it too much on an Intel chipset. Honestly I'd try another motherboard and memtest it.

I've also had multiple memory sticks go bad over time by having to use voltages of 2.0+ Now I like low voltage memory. High voltages can kill memory over time, and it was a problem I had. Having to replace my memory constantly because it required 2.1v

The northbridge holds the memory controller. When it gets hot it might start throwing memory errors out. When it's cool, such as after a shutdown you will be ok. Have you tried this memory in another system/motherboard and ruled out the memory? That's the only thing you could try that would diagnose it. Your motherboard could essentially be killing your memory as well. This has been somewhat common on Nvidia chipsets (680i for example) but I haven't heard about it too much on an Intel chipset. Honestly I'd try another motherboard and memtest it.

Been there, done that...

I've also had multiple memory sticks go bad over time by having to use voltages of 2.0+ Now I like low voltage memory. High voltages can kill memory over time, and it was a problem I had. Having to replace my memory constantly because it required 2.1v

Well, that looks like the issue. I have been replacing them already a few times. But these modules are rated for 2.1V. And my understanding was that it needs them for stability....

Anyway, I got a similar reply in the ASUS forum and I have tested them with 6-6-6-18 at 1.8V. My system has survived the night with this.... first in a long time :-)

Time will tell if this solves it.

Been there, done that...

Well, that looks like the issue. I have been replacing them already a few times. But these modules are rated for 2.1V. And my understanding was that it needs them for stability....

Anyway, I got a similar reply in the ASUS forum and I have tested them with 6-6-6-18 at 1.8V. My system has survived the night with this.... first in a long time :-)

Time will tell if this solves it.

2.1v is typical for memory that is rated for DDR2-1000/1066 etc. However many times these are simply DDR2-800 ICs that have been tested at higher voltage and higher speeds and worked properly. So the manufacturer will warranty them.

Archived