Corsair Community

Why are the SATA power plugs upside down?

Vocalpoint

Morning,

While I love my 3 550VX PSU's...can anyone tell me why the SATA power plugs are mounted upside down? I seriously can't be the only person on the planet using an ******** P182 case with a few hard disks. The drives sit so they are pointing shiny side up...and that puts all the SATA pins in a specific (normal?) direction.

Yet when I try and hook up - ALL the SATA plugs on these PSU are upside down with me having to try to twist and contort the damn thing so far that it's stressing all the drive connectors.

What's everyone esle doing? Mounting your drives upside down?

Cheers!

VP

that is the simplest solution really.

out of the 25 drives on my fleet over half of them are mounted u/s down just for that reason.

tis no big deal :):

Interesting. I always thought they had to be "right side up" to operate efficiently. So there's no negative impact to have them upside down?

But you are hearing me on the plugs - right? Why are these guys insistant on doing this?

Update when you can.

Cheers!

VP

• 2 months later...
The vast majority of cases still use top mounted PSUs so manufacturers are still making most PSUs for top mounted cases. Your case parks the PSU at the bottom which reverses the direction of the SATA power cable. The manufacturer of your case makes a CP series of power supplies with longer cables that are designed to be bottom mounted but they will fit only a few of their own cases (these PSUs are monsters). You'll have to check but I'm thinkin' one of them will fit your case. Check user reviews before getting one, though. They seem to have a high failure rate (probably from trying to use little 80 mm cooling fans).

I also ran into the upside down problem when installing my hx850. In my case the cables were long enough to run them to the top of the case then hook up the drives as the cable came back down. This works ok but the number of useable connectors is reduced. This is the only fault i can find with the power supply. Since the cables are modular on the hx850 it would have been better to have at least half of the power connecters oriented the other way. This would have covered all possible builds and resulted in a faultless product.

Archived