Corsair Community

Question about temps

Ghekkus

Hello all. I am new to the forums (as a poster) and had a question for you all.

I recently built a computer.

This is currently how have it set up with air flow.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9576/flowdq.jpg

The blue arrows are the intake fans and the reds are the exhaust. The diagonal arrow is the 200mm intake fan on the side of the P193 case and the red arrow without the size is the hot air from the radiator.

My PC is not overclocked in anyway and I was wondering if this average or normal temps. (Also included some other info from CPU ID / eVGA ELEET)

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2835/stuffi.png

The maximum temps in the REALTEMP image are from me running prime95 so that would be my under-load temps.

I know these aren't horrible temps but I just wasn't sure if I could get it cooler. I'm not a master at thermal paste application so maybe that could shave a few degrees off?

Sorry to bug you all, just want to make sure I got this as best as I can with what I have.

1) Your Airflow design looks good.

2) Your voltages (VCore, DRAM & VTT) are high for the 920 D0 at stock clocks. You should get higher clocks with these voltages OR lower voltages (VCore 1.18, DRAM 1.65, VTT 1.3) with stock clocks which will generate lower temps. Do you have your voltages at Auto, or are you setting them manually?

3) Yes, check the H50 Mount, I do believe that the logo is supposed to be horizontal..

Based upon the locking mechanism it looks like it can be mounted in many different orientations. As long as the tabs are lined up you should be good to go.

1:49 into this ( http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=1140825 ) Corsair Video please note the following image;

H50.thumb.jpg.3f9f515118ec96b79b8af75ee2ecf15e.jpg

Please note that the i7 IHS is NOT symmetrically centered within the H50 mount. I strongly question mounting the H50 contrary to the instruction of lining up the logo.... Rotating it an arbitrary 45 degrees is looking for trouble with an asymmetric mounting mechinism. Many WC block manufactures go to great lenghts to test & publish the optimum WC block orientation..

My 2 cents.

Edit:

The cold plate is asymetric at 45 degrees as well.

http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/h50_copper.jpg

1) Your Airflow design looks good.

2) Your voltages (VCore, DRAM & VTT) are high for the 920 D0 at stock clocks. You should get higher clocks with these voltages OR lower voltages (VCore 1.18, DRAM 1.65, VTT 1.3) with stock clocks which will generate lower temps. Do you have your voltages at Auto, or are you setting them manually?

3) Yes, check the H50 Mount, I do believe that the logo is supposed to be horizontal..

The voltages are set to auto. The only voltage I changed was the DIMM to the manufacturer specified amount. I don't know much about messing with the CPU voltages so I stay away from it. Any input is appreciated :sunglasse

When I get home and back to my TIM, I will straighten up the pump-heatsink. Even if it doesn't do anything, the OCD has kicked in so I want it straight.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The voltages are set to auto. The only voltage I changed was the DIMM to the manufacturer specified amount. I don't know much about messing with the CPU voltages so I stay away from it. Any input is appreciated :sunglasse

When I get home and back to my TIM, I will straighten up the pump-heatsink. Even if it doesn't do anything, the OCD has kicked in so I want it straight.

Thanks for the input everyone.

What specific memory modules (Brand / Model Num) are you using? 1.74 Volts seems high for stock 796MHz 8-8-8-24. i7 memory voltage is 1.65 @ stock timings under the vast majority of circumstances.

You appear to have a EVGA MB set of issues at play. Your BIOS appears to have your DIMM voltage set correct at 1.65. However, EVGA E-LEET is reporting 1.74 volts...

In addition your VCORE appears high for an AUTO setting at that Freq.

I set up (down clocked) my ASUS system to approximate your frequencies & memory timings.

920EMUL.jpg.8f2cb17567ce4a0f0e2a539103915d5d.jpg

1486294994_920EMULTemps.thumb.jpg.c7ed0f4a65edb7f42d5c77c3bfe6d812.jpg

I added a realtemp screenshot after 15min of prime95 to give you a temp comp. However, Different cases & cooling... Corsair Obsidian & TRUE 120 (air).

My Voltages follow.

Vcore = 1.168

VDimm = 1.65

VTT = 1.2

Your EVGA board is running substantially higher voltages for reasons I can not explain. The higher voltages can not be doing your thermal environment any good. Voltage = Heat!

I suggest that you wander over to the EVGA site to get better insight into what is cranking up you voltage. Sorry that I could not help more. I only have ASUS i7 MB experience.

His memory's in his profile :)

Looks like the EVGA utility isn't reading the voltage right. No surprise there, software often doesn't read voltages correctly.

Perhap Wired has a good point. If E-LEET is not working correctly, all voltage "issues" are moot. However, I have heard good reports on that utility. Does CPU-z give you the same readings?

Perhap Wired has a good point. If E-LEET is not working correctly, all voltage "issues" are moot. However, I have heard good reports on that utility. Does CPU-z give you the same readings?

CPU-Z/ID shows the same core voltage.

</edit>

Messed around with the voltages and what do you know, temps went down! :cool:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8425/ghekkus.png

I still need to straighten up the heat-sink too. That might drop it a little more you think?

Oh, and thanks LEB and everyone for talking with me.

@Ghekkus:

Well done! Your load temps are looking much better.

I continue to suspect that something is amiss with your DIMM voltage. I do suggest that you spend some time with EVGA technical support or forums to understand if the 1.74 volts is real or a S/W or sensor problem. Push hard to validate that you are running at the 1.65 volts that you set in the BIOS.

Archived