Corsair Community

Computer keeps crashing!!! please help

Richardf

Hi

I am really going mental about Vista 64 and i really need some help. I built my system about a year ago and had no issues until about 3 months ago, the computer randomly freezes and lets out a squealing noise from the speakers not the box. I thought it could be the sound of death with creative sound cards but i bought an asus one (Xonar) and that just made a different noise (also it is the worst sound card ever). When the computer freezes the bios clock is still going but i cannot exit the program and need to restart. This mainly happens in games completly randomly (5 minutes or or 4 hours in) but has also happened when on the desktop.

I have updated my bios, reinstalled video drivers, changed the sound card and even went back to onboard sound. I also reinstalled vista and avoided the updates and all my drivers have the latest updates. I have also bought a brand new Video card deluding myself that this was my old one overheating and within 5 minutes it had the same fault!

Could this be the RAM as i upgraded from 4GB to 8GB and this is the only major change i made to the rig!

Does anyone have any ideas>?

Are both pairs the same version? Test one stick at a time in the same slot using Memtest 86+ v4.00.

Maybe the speakers are just going bad, or something else is causing electro magnetic interference to cause the sound, or does the sound only happen when it crashes?

Well after all this i removed 4gb of ram and now the system works fine. no crashing or annoying beeps. However this defies the point of having 64 bit as 8GB with my motherboard should be no issues at all.... has anyone heard of this problem before? or could it be faulty ram?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived