Corsair Community

Different Versions of Dominator DDR3 4GB

bbritts

My processor is a Phenom II X4 965.

I ordered 8GB (2 boxes) of CMD4GX3M2B160C8 from Newegg. They only had 1 box, so I got the other from Amazon. After I had them both, I compared the fine print on the modules that show through the small windows on each box. One box has labels that say "1.65V ver3.1," and the other says"1.65V ver5.1."

The box that includes the ver5.1 has a sticker that says, "AMD Phenom II." The earlier version box has no such sticker.

I'm about to build my first computer, so needless to say, I'm a little gun shy, and apprehensive about what might go wrong.

Do you think I have some compatability woes ahead of me, or will I be alright?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

With 4 modules DDR1066 would about top end for that MB and CPU but you are welcome to try it. And officially mixing memory is not supported. Sorry!

I don't understand what you mean by mixing memory. Both boxes are CMD4GX3M2B1600C8. I didn't even know that version numbers were on modules of memory.

The MB I'm putting these on have 4 slots with a max. possible of 16GB. It's an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO.

• Corsair Employees
We only support them at their tested settings for the way they are sold, IE since you purchased two sets and they are not tested together we can not guarantee they will run at full speed and as I stated with that CPU the memory frequency supported is DDR1333 you are welcome to try it but I doubt it will do much above DDR1333 especially with 4 modules.

We only support them at their tested settings for the way they are sold, IE since you purchased two sets and they are not tested together we can not guarantee they will run at full speed and as I stated with that CPU the memory frequency supported is DDR1333 you are welcome to try it but I doubt it will do much above DDR1333 especially with 4 modules.

Do you think I should just go with 4GB and return one of the boxes?

• Corsair Employees
It re3ally depends on how you will use the system, I am saying that more memory would be an an advantage when you are using a 64 Bit O.S. and Application that is memory intensive even if its running a bit slower. So if that is you situation then you may want to keep them and work with it.

Archived