Corsair Community

Upgrading with CM2X1024

tjf

I've currently got a system with 2GB of Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400. I'd like to upgrade the RAM and wanted to put in an additional 4GB.

1st question, is it OK to have two matched 1GB DIMMs and two matched 2GB DIMMs? Or is this a no no?

2nd question, which pair of DIMMs would match best with my system? I'm looking at TWIN2X4096-6400C5 or TWIN2X4096-6400C5C (can't really tell the difference between the two).

I'm running an ASUS P5N32-e SLI motherboard.

Replace the 2 GB with 4 GB.

Reasons:

Mixing memory sizes is never recommended.

32 bit OS won't use more than 4 GB.

2 sticks generally run better than 4 sticks.

Only difference between those 2 part numbers is the heat spreader.

Should have mentioned I'm planning to upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7.

Noted: 2 sticks generally is better than 4 sticks and Mixing memory sizes is not recommended.

That being said, would the benefit of running 6GB RAM on 4 sticks with mixed memory sizes outweigh running 4GB on 2 sticks?

I assume, the heat spreader would only really be necessary if the RAM were to be overclocked? And I'm assuming C5C would have the heat spreader as it's the more expensive (pre-rebate)?

That being said, would the benefit of running 6GB RAM on 4 sticks with mixed memory sizes outweigh running 4GB on 2 sticks?

Only if you actually "need" more than 4GB of memory. If your usage does not take you to about 3.5GB or more, then no, you won't benefit from having more than 4GB.

Archived