Corsair Community

Asus P6T Deluxe v2 with TR3X6G1600C8D

DrJBarone

Hi, I am having a lot of trouble with TR3X6G1600C8D 6gb ram kit. I cannot get this to run at xmp speeds at default (stock) bios settings. It will run if I manually put it to 1600 and leave voltage and timings alone, but not if I engage the xmp settings. I certainly cannot overclock the cpu as well. If I overclock it and get the processor to a stable (small fft 8 hours prime95 stable) I cannot use ANY setting to get it to run at 1600. I think either corsair is lying about the ability to overclock this ram or I have bad ram. I am RMAing them anyways to see. I am wondering if anyone here has gotten stable overclocks with 1600 ram. I can get my processor stable at 4.2+ GHZ but the ram cannot take this. If the new (or refurb) ram doesn't achieve a stable 1600 overclock I will feel a little cheated. The only way I even get a little stablity is to underclock the ram to 1203. Or try 1600 with 1.8 dram volts but this always fails large ffts 768 or 896k ffts. 1.8 dram volts is a little extreme on the processor and I shouldn't have to over volt something rated stable at 1.65v. I cannot pass these tests in blend at all. Its if'y with inplace ffts. Sometimes it passes sometimes it doesn't. I have tried the xmp settings with qpi all the way up to 1.4 ghz. But no luck. Thank you.

When I do this it still won't run stable. It will fail the blend test. At stock bios settings it will pass blend. I have not tried blend overnight but it passed 896 and 768k ffts which it cannot at XMP settings. Now I have overclocked to 4.2ghz and underclocked ram with timings on auto and have achieved stability. If I manually set the timings to Xmp settings and up qpi to 3.5 volts it will hang during blend. I have tried one ram module at a time at 4.0 ghz with xmp settings and it seems one module has failed blend. The others barely made it through blend did pass 896 and 768k. Now I have rmad my ram back to corsair. When I get the new ram what would you suggest would be a good test to see if it's the RAM or the northbridge or the controller on the CPU which is the problem? or is there a specific procedure you recommend to gradually load the ram such as just loading xmp settings with stock bios. Plase keep in mind I do plan on overclocking the CPU to 4.0 at least eventually if it's possible and not leaving the settigs at stock. Thank you for your time.

Dr. Barone

I will keep you informed of the progress. I was recently sent an email stating there are delays in the warranty exchange program at the moment. So it will be most likely another week while I wait for the new ram and a few days of testing over thanksgiving week. I hope the new ram is better matched and will run at the rated 1600 overclock. Thank you for your time. If I still have trouble, do you think the corsair dominator GT's would better suite my application?

Dr. Barone

Ok everyone I got my new ram. I am happy to say this fixed everything. I'm 50 linX stable and working on prime stable as we speak. These tests literally would crash in 20min no matter what I did. I'm a little bummed the first batch was bad but corsair pulled thru for me. These are the settings I am using:

CPU ratio 21

bclk 200

qpi 3200

ram 1600

CPU volt 1.320

qpi/Pll 1.30

dram volt 1.66

CPU pll 1.88

I hope this helps everone with my setup and thank you ram guy memtest ran all night last night. Thank you corsair for sending the new and better matched RAM.

One last update Prime95 is stable 13 plus hours on blend now when it wouldn't make it passed 20-53 minutes when it hit large ffts. Oh yes this is at 4.2Ghz! With the ram at 1600 oc. I am a very happy customer! If anyone is having trouble with a stepping 5 DO processor with this ram and motherboard and running prime 95 is crashing blend test on large ffts this may be your issue. I passed in place large ffts which doesn't test ram very much just the connection to the cpu so out of place large ffts which cycles the ram was leading me to think it was the ram and I was correct. I have an extremely fast pc now.

Dr. Barone

Archived