Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Timing and Speed Issues

Tom8126

Hi all, my first post here so be nice please :).

Ok where to start,

I've just built a new system and i'm having some issues with the memory.

I dont claim to be an expert, nor do i have any experience with overclocking or fine tuning, this is the third gaming rig ive built for myself. Ive spent the last 2 years working and casual gaming on my xbox so i'm out of touch with all the new components but after a lot of reseraching i think im more or less up to speed.

With my other systems in the past i've just put them together and used them i've stayed away from the bios.

But this system is different i thought i have a little play with overclocking the processor and at least setting the ram speed and timings to what they say on the spec to maximize performance.

Ok back to the problem, i started with the nVidia support system as i figured theres more to set on the motherboard ram is ram you plug it in and it does what its told. This is where im at with the nvidia support guy pls bear with the randomness of my post it was late;-

I do have another question about this board, could you tell me what the default cpu voltage is, as in the bios i only have the option to increase the total value by up to 0.3000v but i dont know what the original voltage is.

I have this Memory

( http://www.corsair.com/products/go.aspx?pn=TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF )

The memory works fine i have tested it in another board. When i install it and boot using defaults it is fine plays games no problems and is stable. However when i increase the Dram clock speed to 1066Mhz the system either wont boot, bluescreens during login or boots up and crashes after 5 or 10 mins while idling. I have left the timings on Auto and the mother board sets it at 5 7 8 18 2T, the ram is designed to run at 5 5 5 15 2T, as far as im aware that is; TCL (CAS) - 5 TRcD - 5 TRp - 5 TRaS - 5 Command Per Clock - 2T Can you confirm this or correct me.

When i try anything else but the default settings with this memory my system is unstable or wont boot. I also have a Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor i want to overclock it to 3.6Ghz which should be achievable by increasing the FSB to 1600Mhz and adjusting the voltage to match however i cannot get mine above 3.2Ghz (FBS-1422Mhz) but the above mentioned voltage question could sort this or is there something else i dont know?

[ 11/4/2009 10:00:17 PM] Forgot to mention i did also increase the Ram voltage to 2.1v when i increased the clock speed.

[TONY 11/5/2009 4:16:10 PM] HI, the CPU voltage will be automatically set correctly, providing the CPU is supported, which the E8400 is with this model. But RAM compatibilty is always difficult to guarantee. Try timings 7-7-7-18, bit 1T and 2T. But please take care with RAM voltage, or contact TAM manufacturer, if you are a little ubnsure. Thanks Tony

[ 11/5/2009 7:48:56 PM] Thanks for the reply, sorry if my question was all over the place and unclear it was late.

As i said before this is the ram im using (http://www.corsair.com/products/go.aspx?pn=TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF),

It seems very stable on 2.1v set at 800Mhz, Leaving the timings on auto and turning the memory clock speed up to 1066Mhz is where i run into problems.

Dosen`t seem to make a difference setting the timings to 5-5-5-15 - 2T, i will try 7-7-7-18 after this response. Could you confirm i am changing the right values;- TcL (Cas), TRcD, TRp all to 7 and TRaS to 18. About the CPU, so your saying if i turn the FSB up

(my goal is 1600 (1600/4 =400 x 9 = 3.6Ghz))

the voltage will adjust its self to suit?

I know this processor is cable of reaching 3.6Ghz on air cooling is there any particalular reason i am getting nonboots or blue screens everytime i try to go above 1422FSB (3.2Ghz) i am currently at 3.2Ghz and its stable.

Any more help would be great, i am more concerned about getting the ram to 1066Mhz at the moment the processor is only a side project. Thanks Tom

[ 11/5/2009 8:13:39 PM] Hi Tony, Just tried the timings you suggested firstly on this board TcL (Cas) will only go as high as 6,

so i tried 6-7-7-18-T2 1066Mhz, same as usual blue screens instead of loading windows,

then i tried 6-7-7-18-T1 1066Mhz and it just locked on the post screen had to clear the cmos to be able to get back to the bios.

What would you recommend now?

So thats where im am at if you can understand any of that its a bit jumbled.

It may not help but my bios screen looks like this, (This is not my actual bios so ignore the values its just a picture of an identical one for reference)

CPU, Voltage, and Clock speeds - http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2008/02/17101046531l.jpg

Ram Timings - http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2008/02/17101002532l.jpg

Firstly well done and thanks to any1 that read that :P

Any help or advice any could offer would be great.

Thanks Tom.

Update apon reading through some similar problems on the froum, seems many have this issue, ive tried a couple of other user suggestions.

Ive managed to get the system to boot at 1066Mhz 5-6-6-18 @1.8v, not done any test but seems stable atm at least ive booted, selected some music and loaded the forum up, which is a massive improvement from BSOD :P

Attached some screens from CPU-Z hopefully these mean something to someone.

CPU_Z_B.jpg.303e51db35429930c68077c6b88f527e.jpg

CPU_Z_A.jpg.5cae3e13dac126f9121a4d5190c83d3b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived