Corsair Community

XPS 630i and TWIN2x4096-6400C5C

calaf49

I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (from Vista Ultimate 32 bit) and want to max out RAM (8GB). The Corsair Mem. Configurator recommends the TWIN2x4096-6400C5 kit while Dell recommends TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX. Isn't the TWIN2x4096-6400C5C basically a newer version of the TWIN2x4096-6400C5 and, shouldn't it be compatible?

Just to clarify what you mean by "mixing" twin sets:

The motherboard can handle 8GB in 4 slots - 2GB / slot. Are you saying that 2 twin sets (same model) won't work or that you can't use 2 different models?

To max out RAM, I was planning on using 2 sets of the TWIN2x4096-6400C5C modules.

Either scenario may not work. Neither is tested or guaranteed. That's why they have 8 GB kits. OEM systems are also more sensitive than most.

BTW, I could have sworn I've seen the 630i in the configurator, but can't find it ATM. Mind posting the link you found to your PC?

The configurator only lists the XPS 630, not the 630i. The info on various websites about this system is confusing at best.

I called Dell Tech Support and they confirmed compatibility, assuming I'd be replacing all existing modules.

• Corsair Employees
You can only use one of the sets in that system as we do not offer an 8 Gig set for that system and in any OEM system that would be the only way you can get 4 modules working. We do not test Twin sets 4 up and there is no way to guarantee compatibility.

Archived