Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX, broken modules and configurations.

Scrangle

1 & 1/2 year ago i bought a 2x2gb Corsair TWIN2X PC6400C5DHX DDR2.

I plugged them in my Asus P5B SE board which uses dual channel.

First of all the computer didn't start and it took me a long time to figure out that one of the memory modules was broken.

Since then i've been running it with only one of the 2gb modules.

This week i decided to upgrade and get me another 2x2gb kit of the same type.

Surprise surprise, first of all the same thing happened. Took me a while to figure out that one of the modules actually was broken, or, didn't work as intended. I tried windows memory diagnostics and had a failure reported when i had the defect module installed.

Now im wondering if there's something with my motherboard that has a habbit of breaking memory modules? :p Or if i've done something wrong with the setup, even though i've just been putting the memorys next to each other in the dual channel slots..?

Secondly. I have returned the kit for a new set of modules. I was planning to use the two new 2gb modules with my old one, which is identical.

Will this cause any problems, seeing i'll have one pair and one single?

And will i lose more performance by using 3x2gb single instead of using a dual-channel pair of 2x2gb?

Regards Johan

Maybe i need to clarify my questions.

First of all if my motherboard has a tendency to ruin new memory modules?

Seems highly unlikely but then im no expert.

And my second question.

Would i be better off using 4 gb of ram running dual channel or by using

3x2gb of memory?

Another question. Memorys can only work in dual channel if they are already paired, of the same brand and type? Wrong or right.

Thanks in advance.

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+ using the rated speed / timings / voltage. This will help to figure out if it's a bad stick or a bad slot.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

Having said that, it's never recommended to mix memory from different manufacturers, let alone different part numbers or versions.

Usually 2 sticks will run better than 3.

Okey. Thanks for your answer.

Since my motherboard has two channels and i already have 3x2gb of ram. Im assuming from your response that it would work quite well if i got another 1x2gb Corsair memory of another type but running at the same latency and voltage and then have two pairs running dual channel?

Archived