Corsair Community

Re-set Button

bogbrain

Remove the power button from the motherboard and plug the reset switch into it. If it powers on the computer, then the switch is good and maybe didnt plug it in right or there is a problem with the motherboard. If it wont power on the computer you got a bad switch and get in touch with the RMA people.

I tried the reset switch in the power button but that did not work so it looks like the fault lies with reset switch. If it means dismanteling the build and sending the whole case back to sort it out I may have to live without the reset switch and just power off with the power button! Will that cause problems?

Just a tip

You should not use the reset button ever. You have the potential to crash the HDD read/write heads together using the reset button. A lot of new cases don't even have a reset button anymore as it doesn't really have any function other then possibly destroying hard drives.

(This ofcourse does not apply to SSD drives)

Yes if it freezes i always use the hard power off. Not because of fear of the reset button but more the fact that i would like the ram memory to be wiped before i start up the PC again.

If for some reason the data was corrupted which is in your ram banks during a freeze/crash this can cause strange effects even possibly leading to an unreadable bios.

Which in most cases now triggers a bios wipe (asus crashfree bios) or for the system to switch too the second bios for booting (gigabyte dual bios).

In both cases you'll think "D*** it cant handle those settings so i need to adjust" while it could also be something entirely different like a videocard failure messing up your ram banks.

The higher you start clocking a system the more tricky it gets even leading to things like asus adding a memory wipe button to the RoG series mother boards (im guessing you have one as you also have an onboard power and reset button)

Listing of bios fixes for your board

F9E 2009/09/01

1. Beta BIOS

2. Fix abnormal CPU temperature

F7 2009/05/11

1. Update new CPU microcode

F6 2009/03/31

1. Enhance Core i7 D0 stepping compatibility

2. Fix abnormal messages from EasyTune 6 and DES in Vista

F5 2009/02/26

1. Improve VGA card compatibility

2. Improve S3 resume compatibility

3. Intel®Core™ i7 processor D-0 stepping support.

F4 2008/12/22

1. Fix S3 resume turbo mode issue

2. Fix DualBIOS recovery issue

3. Improve System Stability

F3 2008/11/14

1. Fix CPU compatibility issues

If your bios is still F3 or F4 you might want to try a bios flash

Got a reply from corsair to send an email with a picture of the "Damaged Case!" and they will then replace it??

As the case is not damaged it is just the connecters to/from the re-set button am a bit perplexed. Heve emailed to say as such...will post reply!

• Corsair Employee
As berserker mentioned it may be a good idea to make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard. If there is no difference with the new BIOS then please send an email to Ramguy@corsairmemory.com and put "800D" in the subject line. Give us a brief description of what needs to be replaced, and include your shipping and contact information.

• 3 weeks later...

Corsair have sent me a spec sheet to highlight the part for replacement. However the front panel which contains the power and re-set switches are not included as a replaceable option. So it looks like I will be stuck with the faulty re-set switch as I do not intend in sending back the entire case after dismantling everything first!

What a shame!

Corsair have sent me a spec sheet to highlight the part for replacement. However the front panel which contains the power and re-set switches are not included as a replaceable option. So it looks like I will be stuck with the faulty re-set switch as I do not intend in sending back the entire case after dimantling everything first!

What a shame!

Did Corsair tell you they won't replace the switch because it isn't listed in the quick start guide? Or are you making an assumption?

John

Archived