Corsair Community

P128 losing connection to the PC, Bios not seeing the drive at least once daily.

amcfarla

I have just built a brand new PC(mostly corsair products - psu, memory, cpu cooler, ssd, case) well the new issue I am facing is that my Corsair P128 SSD drive seems to daily losing connection daily and causes reboots which cause the BIOS to no longer see the hard drive. In the past four days it has happen at least five times. All the other drives though are seen by the bios at this point so I do not think it is a motherboard issue. I originally thought the issue was the back plane swappable hard drive port in the Obsidian 800D but directly connecting the hard drive to the sata cable caused the same issue. At this point I am sure what to do to resolve this issue myself. I have seen a few other posts with people having the same issues with their Corsair SSD drives. Please any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Is there anything in particular that you're doing when the system reboots or is it just a random happening regardless of what you're doing?

I notice you have your Sata ports filled - try removing one of the optical drives and keep Sata port 2 clear; it *might* be a crosstalk issue.

Another thing you can try is replacing the m/b battery - even if its a new m/b it could have a faulty or failing battery.

I replaced the SSD drive with a extra sata laptop hard drive(non ssd) and installed windows 7 on it, I want to see how this hard drive behaves after a week of using it. At the moment I am 9 hours of uptime and no issues(which has been a chore with the SSD drive that past week). I have left everything else the same in my machine, and want to see how the machine performs in the next week just to confirm if it is the SSD or something else.

if everything else is fine, the battery isn't the issue.

Put the SSD on Sata 1 and then add your other items as far as possible from it, ie sata6 (or whatever yours is) and work backwards. If you still have issues, check to make sure you have the latest bios. Last step, RMA it.

Well after 5 days of swapping the SSD out for a platter drive the issues have went away and the machine has ran rock solid and has not rebooted so the SSD was the issue. I have filed a RMA request for the P128 since that seems to be the issue. I am just hoping the next drive does not have the same issues.

Ok I am trying to run DBAN(Darik's Boot and Nuke) on this drive(P128) to fully remove my data, well it has twice stopped running at different percentages without completing fully with the following error "DBAN finished with non-fatal errors". This is being done in a different machine so this proves there is some hardware issue with this drive.

Don't forget to do a secure erase also to restore performance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romeo Real

This solved the issue!

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

I've been hollering and screaming this for about a week now! I've had people trying to say that it's the same as writing zeros, but it's not it's wiping the mapping or as this article says resetting the cells to be marked as empty (same thing)! Thanks for finding an article that has proven what I'm talking about, I've been defending by describing what HDD ERASE or a Secure Erase is actually doing vs a full format. It's easiest to perform this operation using the program HDDERASE which can be found on the UBCD (google it if you don't know what UBCD is).

Not running my SSD in any sort of RAID configuration so I don't think this will resolve the issues I am having.

That driver will help with the SATA controller as a whole RAID or no RAID. Also, since removing the Intel Matrix Control Console from Windows and using that driver standalone I've had perfect stability, knock on wood.

That driver will help with the SATA controller as a whole RAID or no RAID. Also, since removing the Intel Matrix Control Console from Windows and using that driver standalone I've had perfect stability, knock on wood.

The SSD drive had an issue in a SATA usb enclosure also, so there is an apparent hardware issue with the drive.

Archived