Corsair Community

Top Hard Drive bay in 800D swappable bay keeps losing connection

amcfarla

In the past three days my PC has locked up or rebooted at least four times and when it happens after rebooting the PC it comes back up and says it cannot locate a boot drive, when I go to look in the the bios the drive in the first slot(which is my corsair P128 SSD drive) is no longer listed in the bios. I remove the drive from the bay and push it back into the bay with the machine powered off and it is still not being seen. The only way I can get the drive back is that I have to unplug the sata cable and power cable from the back of the top back plane and plug it directly into the drive and then the bios will see the drive. I can then power off the machine and plug the drive back in the drive bay and plug the power and sata cable and the bios will see the drive after that. The problem I am having is this has happened multiple times in three days so there is definitely a hardware issue with the bay or the P128 drive. I am going to plug the drive directly into the sata cable and power cable for a couple of days to see if that resolves the issues, but I am not sure if the back plane is user replaceable with a new one(since I believe that is the issue) because I do not want to have to ship this case back to get this resolved since this is my only computer case and cannot be without my computer for a prolonged time. Any info would be appreciated, Thank you.

Well this morning had the same issue with the Corsair P128 SSD hooked directly to the SATA cable so it looks like I have a hardware issue with the drive. Recieved a BSOD around 3:30 am, and then after rebooting...the drive was not being detected by the BIOS. After getting the drive actually seen by the PC, Windows 7 was completely hosed and would not boot with giving a BSOD(so it looks like another reimage after I get home from work). I am going to try another hard drive with Windows on it, but at the moment I am not having very good luck with Corsair products since I have bought the components for this PC, out of 5 products I have purchased, three have had issues(SSD didn't have laptop screws and this issue with the drive not being seen by windows, modular Power supply not having a correct pci express video card power plug to be able to plug into the power supply, and the 800D case having a issue with the door to the hotswappable hard drive bay having the pins break off the door so it will not longer attach to the case) at least the H50 cpu cooler, and the corsair memory seem to be working well. But at the moment not a very good average for Corsair products.

• Corsair Employee

The SSD should work with the screws that were used with the original HDD that came with the laptop, usually you will use the entire cradle that was used for the original HDD.

Which PSU did you have and can you describe what was wrong with the PCIE cable? Was it all the PCIE cables or a single one?

We should be able to get you a replacement door for the 800D, just send an email to Ramguy@corsairmemory.com and put "800D" in the subject line. Give us a brief description of what needs to be replaced, and include your shipping and contact information.

With the SSD I would see if it is detected in a different system (as a secondary drive) and if so, try a full format and see if there is any change. If it looks like the drive has failed then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

The SSD should work with the screws that were used with the original HDD that came with the laptop, usually you will use the entire cradle that was used for the original HDD.

Which PSU did you have and can you describe what was wrong with the PCIE cable? Was it all the PCIE cables or a single one?

We should be able to get you a replacement door for the 800D, just send an email to Ramguy@corsairmemory.com and put "800D" in the subject line. Give us a brief description of what needs to be replaced, and include your shipping and contact information.

With the SSD I would see if it is detected in a different system (as a secondary drive) and if so, try a full format and see if there is any change. If it looks like the drive has failed then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I actually already sent a email to ramguy@corsairmemory.com last Tuesday(10/27) regarding the door on my case and have not heard anything back(actually provided three pictures of what it looked like), the PSU power supply was a HX620, and the cable issue has been resolved(received a second set of cables last week which resolved the issue), The SSD drive though I believe is the problem(but do need a little bit more time to determine for sure if it is the issue) I installed a extra laptop drive(non ssd) into the machine and installed Windows 7 on it and after 9 hours(by the Performance tab in task manger showing the up time) and the machine seems to be running stable but I want to see what happens after a week of having this drive in the machine.

It looks like the top two SATA slots in my case are bad. My system has been sluggish ever since I placed it in the 800D. Shortcuts refreshed slowly and if I was trying to select a drive where to save a download, it took an extremely long time for the select screen to pop up. I thought the slowness was kind of odd, especially because I clean installed Windows 7 just a week ago so it's not like there's been time for the system to get cluttered.

Two days ago, I tried to copy a large multi-gig file to one of the drives plugged into the top two bays but the file just hung during the transfer. Even canceling the transfer was impossible. To test whether my drives were going bad, I moved the two drives to the very bottom two bays, the ones that don't use the backplane, and hooked them directly into the PSU and motherboard. The drives operated perfectly; transfers are speedy and don't hang and my overall system is no longer sluggish. I have another two hard drives plugged into the bottom two SATA ports on the backplane and they are fine so it looks like only the top two SATA ports are bad. I've already submitted an support ticket but wanted to pass along my experience if anyone else is having similar problems. Obviously, I'm not thrilled that my brand new case has defective electronics out of the box.

Sorry for use or thread.

I have a similar problem also, my second drive bay counting down/up when in ahci mode sometimes hangs, when i open a folder with a lot of pictures system hang... i change it to ide modo and no problems, then i connect the cables direct and change it to ahci again no problems also, i've changed drive bay to third and no problems so far.

• Corsair Employee
DDarko, we will be able to replace the backplane circuit boards for you but I would make sure that you can isolate which ones are failing, its unlikely that all four would fail at the same time with the same issues. Did you have a case number from your support request?

Hi Ramguy,

Thanks for following up. My case number is 1195002. I submitted this Saturday and haven't heard from anybody in tech support yet. However, it may not be necessary. I posted about this over on hardforum.com and the Corsair rep over there suggested testing the drives in the slots but with different cables. When I had problems, I was using the Corsair SATA cable that came with the case but when I moved the drives to the bottom bays and connected them directly to the motherboard, I used my other cables because the Corsair ones weren't long enough. I moved the drives back into the bay and so far haven't had the trouble I was having. I want to give it a few more days to see if anything develops but maybe it was bad cables and not bad circuit boards.

Archived