Corsair Community

MUST READ X128s FIXED

After hour after hour and day after day of pulling my hair out, I've finally figured it out!!! I've been having BSOD after BSOD with Windows7 Ultimate x64 on an X58 chipset with two Corsair X128 Extreme SSDs. I have drove RAM GUY nuts and many other forum users, but today I GOT IT!!!

First of all to restore a SSD to full performance you must use HDD Erase 3.1. HDD Erase version 3.3 has compatibility issues with too many RAID controllers (Version 4.0 probably works too but I used UBCD 4.1 instead of 5.0beta to execute HDDERASE). NOTE: Remember to take your SSDs out of RAID configuration in BIOS and set drives to IDE or Legacy or else HDD Erase will not recognize your drives!!!

Next, if you're using an x58 chipset DO NOT USE INTEL'S MATRIX STORAGE SOFTWARE Intel's RAID control software is EXTREMELY incompatible with Windows 7. Remember, the software was designed to control the SSD 'garbage collection' maintenance (TRIM) of SSDs installed in a system using Windows 7 and CORSAIR HAS NOT RELEASED THE FIRMWARE TO SUPPORT TRIM!!! Because you have a software(s) designed to execute routines that the hardware can't support, you get issues. Also, Intel themselves are having problems with RAID, TRIM and Windows 7 even with their own SSDs, so why would you trust their software to work for another vendor?

I have actually sold off my Rampage II Extreme and purchased an EVGA X58 Classified because of this whole ordeal! I don't regret it, the guys at EVGA helped me troubleshoot the driver issue and have recently added stand-alone Intel RAID drivers on their website to fix MY ISSUE (also, it benefits anyone using an X58 chipset and SSDs so you might wanna manually install the drivers from their website (X58 users of any brand)!!!! NOW THAT'S SUPPORT!!! Can't thank them enough for the time they spent with me figuring out the issue and the FREE stuff they sent me for identifying the problem and helping them fix it for the rest of the community!

Corsair was also very helpful and I must thank them for even offering an RMA to see if that fixes the random BSOD. Also, you need to read the Windows7 tweaks section of this forum to help eliminate unnecessary Read/Writes to your SSD. This (tweaks) will help keep the performance up on your SSDs.

NOW FOR THE AMAZING STUFF, CHECK OUT THESE RESULTS:

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss303/tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe/tI2ouI3LeSoIVIeEXTREME.jpg?t=1257232288

CAN YOU SAY "AS ADVERTISED???" AT LEAST FOR A FEW DAYS UNTIL CORSAIR RELEASES A FIRMWARE UPGRADE TO HELP MAINTAIN PERFORMANCE...

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss303/tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe/WhatchaGotOnThis.jpg?t=1257232350

Sucks when your processor is your bottleneck and it's an underclocked i7 (btw that's Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz RAM getting those marks :cool: )...

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss303/tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe/tI2ouI3LeSoIVIeX58MildOC.jpg?t=

All I have left to say for now is...

::pirate:::o:;)::cool::)::greengrin:sillygrin:shootme::rolleyes::loveeyes::naughty::laughcry::bomb: :feedback::uzi::flamethro:D::p::roll::eek::biggrin::sunglasse:bigeyes::!::laughing::winking: :eyebuldge:hihi::shakeit::headbang::evildevil:ar::bling::asskick::asskick::headbang2:rofl::nutkick: :whip:

I'D LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK!!

Sorry - but it's not really clear what you figured out. I've got an EVGA X58 (SLI LE) board and have had intermittant issues with my RAID 0 X128 Corsair SSDs and it seems like you might be on to something. BUt what that is, isn't clear from your post.

What was your problem?

How did you fix it?

And how do you get RAID on an X58 motherboard without Intel's RAID Storage Manager?

What is the standalone RAID driver you speak of? Where are they and under what conditions should soemone use them instead of the mainstream ones?

Slow down. Take a breath. Please explain so we can benefit from whatever it is you figured out.

DO NOT USE the Intel Matrix Storage software. On the EVGA driver download website we narrowed down the Intel RAID drivers that are stable on Win7 (last download in the driver list). You need to manually install those drivers and you will have a stable system.

Action items:

1. Remove Intel Matrix Software controlling your RAID set (your system may even go unstable after reboot, don't fret Windows just gets confused and the next step fixes that).

2. Manually install Intel RAID drivers from EVGA website. (if you need exact place or instructions I'll provide, just ask).

3. Enjoy.

That's all there is to it.

I don't use the Matrix Raid Management (IRM.EXE) that runs in Windows (to let you view your RAID arrays and such from within Windows). But I did load the IAStore.sys driver during Windows installation - which was necessary to recognise my multiple drives as a RAID array (Intel_RAID.zip).

Which are you saying NOT to use.

And what problems were you seeing before you figured it all out? I want to know if my issues are similar. I have a Corsair SSD that seizes up (hard drive activity light goes solid) for 5-30 seconds then BSOD. Was that what you had and what you solved - or something different?

What do you use if you don't use IRM.EXE? I wouldn't use anything, for now, other than the native Win7 RAID support. That's where my problem was and likely is yours. Just remove any RAID management utility you installed and let Windows 7 manage the arrays, but install the driver below to ensure functionality of ICH10R RAID in Windows7.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss303/tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe/th_Driver2Update.jpg

Use these drivers from EVGA's website. Sorry can't copy URL but this is the one to look for:

Driver Version : 8.6.0.1023 - EVGA Recommended Download

Release Date: 07/17/2008

WHQL Certified : YES

Driver File : Intel_RAID.zip (Primary Download Link)

Notes : NONE

You must MANUALLY replace all drivers on the device I highlighted above and that should fix your problem, as long as you let Windows 7 control your RAID.

Yes, I would get a random SSD freeze, then a BSOD, then on reboot I would get a failed initialization of one of my RAID arrays.

I narrowed it down when I went to prepare my shipment of the X128s back to Corsair. I pulled the SSDs and put my Velociraptor back in and it had a BSOD and a failed RAID initialization on my storage array (2 WD Caviar 200GB HDD). I then decided to further troubleshoot and called EVGA about possible incompatibility issues with ICH10R, RAID and Windows 7. They are a company DEDICATED to fixing issues. After all was said and done we narrowed it down to the software, which installs the above driver, we then disassembled the installer package and came up with the drivers you see in the download section. I would recommend a BIOS update for your system, if you haven't already done so and then try these drivers.

If that doesn't work I'd do a clean install of Win7 (first use HDD ERASE 3.1 by downloading UBCD 4.1 and burning it to a bootable startup disk (remember, in order to wipe the drives you must tell the BIOS to use the SATA ports as IDE not RAID), reinitialize your array making sure SSDs are on ports 0 and 1, do a quick format using Win7 installation wizard, once Win7 is finished installing use the Intel 1020 chipset installation package, DO NOT USE the Intel Matrix garbage, install the RAID drivers listed above, perform the tweaks from the sticky in this forum section and I'll bet your problems are solved. If they are not, at that point I'd call the motherboard manufacturer and then if they can rule out their hardware I'd yell and scream at RAM GUY for an RMA.

Next, if you're using an x58 chipset DO NOT USE INTEL'S MATRIX STORAGE SOFTWARE Intel's RAID control software is EXTREMELY incompatible with Windows 7.
Do you mean you believe it's incompatible with any type of storage device?

I'm using the Intel Matrix Storage Console v8.9.0.1023 on an Asus P6T Deluxe v1, Windows 7 (64 bit) with two Western Digital VelociRaptor 300 GB (RAID 0) and I'm not having any issues.

Do you mean you believe it's incompatible with any type of storage device?

I'm using the Intel Matrix Storage Console v8.9.0.1023 on an Asus P6T Deluxe v1, Windows 7 (64 bit) with two Western Digital VelociRaptor 300 GB (RAID 0) and I'm not having any issues.

I had the same problems on the RIIE board, wish I had it still to see if the drivers in this post would have fixed the issue on that board. We had to single out the RAID driver based on an Intel article EVGA found on it's site about incompatibly with the Matrix software and they (Intel) are the ones that suggested removal and using the drivers standalone. I still have to manage my SSDs using the ICH10R which forces the use of Intel Matrix Storage, but I don't use the software to maintain the drives from Windows. It fixed the issue, I suggest that people don't use the Intel GUI for the Matrix Storage, sometimes call Intel Turbo Memory.

For the record, I NEVER had a problem with the Rampage board, Intel's Matrix Control Panel and RAID 0 160GB Velociraptors in Vista 64 Ultimate. Again, removing the Intel Matrix GUI and installing the standalone drivers fixed the problem. 48 hours constantly running now with ZERO BSODs and I've transferred 10GB files between RAIDed arrays multiple times to try to force a crash and played games for long intervals. That would have caused all kinds of issues just a few days ago and across two motherboard platforms with only one thing in common ICH10R and Windows 7.

That is never a good thing to do! ::pirate::

Personally I would consult with the MB maker first before I did any thing remotely like that!

I guess that might be a good thing to do first, that's really how I inevitably solved the issue. However, sometimes it's good to vent at RAM GUY, he likes it. Make sure you ask him when Corsair is going to release firmware to support TRIM, he really likes that question.:biggrin:

Yeah, pissing off Ram Guy isn't recommended.

So you're saying that using Intel's Matrix Storage Console + Windows 7 + SSD = random freezes / BSODs / failed initialization of a RAID array on reboot?

With my system yes, according to Intel they have had issues with that exact combination and recommend removal of the console. Yes, after BSOD you get failed initialization on the first RAID set it finds...i.e. if ports 0 an 1 are RAID-0 that array fails, if port 0 is a single drive and port 1 is empty but ports 2 and 3 have an array set it will fail. It does not matter SSD or HDD, but SSDs fail quickly and more rapidly.

I guess the equation is:

Win7 64bit + ICH10R + RAID + BSOD = Failed Initialization on First RAID array detected

That equation would mean the BSOD is a component of the problem and not a result of the problem. From your original post it sounds like the BSOD is a result of the problem.

Actually BSOD is probably not part of the problem at all, it's a by-product of the reaction caused by the software and driver (Intel Matrix Storage Console and Windows 7 + ICH10R Driver). I know it sounds weird, but it is what was wrong with my system. Once I removed that console and reinstalled the RAID driver it worked beautifully.

• Corsair Employees
I guess that might be a good thing to do first, that's really how I inevitably solved the issue. However, sometimes it's good to vent at RAM GUY, he likes it. Make sure you ask him when Corsair is going to release firmware to support TRIM, he really likes that question.

tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe

You really don't know me very well do you?

For me questions are like challenges to me and knowing the answer to them off the top of my head makes me happy. Not to mention impresses the girl's :eek:LOL! ::pirate::

Any way another success story and I am sure this thread will help others; so thank you by the way for sharing your information.:cool:

tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe

You really don't know me very well do you?

For me questions are like challenges to me and knowing the answer to them off the top of my head makes me happy. Not to mention impresses the girl's :eek:LOL! ::pirate::

Any way another success story and I am sure this thread will help others; so thank you by the way for sharing your information.:cool:

Oh yeah girls just love computer gurus! Mine is ready to leave me because of my computer and all the time I've spent recently on it. I lovingly named my computer SEXYBITCH so that she (girlfriend) sees it on the network that way all day! I'll probably be finding pieces of my precious computer scattered across the town by tomorrow!

I love challenges too, but while working my way through school I managed a Circuit City and I always would get the same questions over and over by employees and customers. I can relate to the feeling of "Didn't I already answer that clearly the first hundred times?" I swear if I ever have to explain how to right click or left click a mouse to another human being I will probably explode! :beatchair

I swear if I ever have to explain how to right click or left click a mouse to another human being I will probably explode! :beatchair

Try telling noobs that read instructions and then moan "I can't find the *ANY KEY* on my keyboard" lol :D:

• Corsair Employees
Oh yeah girls just love computer gurus! Mine is ready to leave me because of my computer and all the time I've spent recently on it. I lovingly named my computer SEXYBITCH so that she (girlfriend) sees it on the network that way all day! I'll probably be finding pieces of my precious computer scattered across the town by tomorrow!

Well we could talk for hours about several subjects mentioned here, and I guess the best advise I can give is you have to prioritize and the proverbial "GF" or "Wife" will almost always win out. Besides sometimes it is not a bad idea to back away from a problem for a while as it can help you gain perspective.

And one thing I have learned is that anything dealing with Microsoft will eventually work it self out sometimes it comes in the form of an automatic update and you never know what fixed the problem because you just notice one day hey I have not had the BSOD for a while now! And NO I will never change to an Apple because I cannot play Duke Nuke um 3D on it. LMAO!

Just a quick thanks to tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe for this post as it helped me know end.

I suffered the same BSOD's, lost arrarys and freezing whilst in the OS. btw Windows 7 x64.

Running two 128 SSD's in Raid0 and no end of the above problems. Thankfully i found this forum and applied tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe workaround.

The only problem i had was my Mobo did not like HDDERASE and fired up some ATA security warning but on another forum someone posted that, before booting up, disconnect the sata cables to the SSD's and then launch UBCD. As it loads, re-connect the sata cables to the disks and it worked.

I know WEI is not a reference as a benchmark but when my pc first arrived i scored 7.6 before the probs kicked in but after this workaround it went up to 7.7.

Again many thanks for a great forum and too tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe.

Regards...Ni3K

Archived