Corsair Community

To buy 2 P256 or not.

morphin1

Hi guys,

This is my first time with SSD's and I have read a lot on the subject already in the last few weeks.

Am planning on getting 2 P256 256GB SSD's and have a few queries:

1. Has the performance loss with the full format on the P256 been fixed?

A. If not then by quick formatting a few times will i see similar drop in

performance?

2. In how long does the performance drop occur on the SSD(regular gaming

usage) where it starts effecting real life apps. As in if I am to use 1 SSD for

Win 7(64bit/32bit) and other for games how long before they go bad and will

{VBM18C1Q offers a “Performance Recovery” feature} this rectify that even

without Trim?

3. How bad is the performance drop and what duration are we looking at?

4. Shud i go for drives that are offer trim as opposed to the P265?

5. Also I read that a lot of P256 are failing. I live in India and will be getting the SSD's through a relative so RMA'ing etc will be a pain due to customs here.

Please help me make my decision as I definitely want to get these SSD's and sorry If I have made any mistakes here.

Thanks for your time and patience.

1. Has the performance loss with the full format on the P256 been fixed?

A. If not then by quick formatting a few times will i see similar drop in

performance?

NEVER FULL FORMAT AN SSD , you're just writing Zeros into the cells and that's not good .... a Quick Format does the trick. If you're installing Windows 7 to a *fresh* untouched drive then no need to format; just let Windows 7 walk you through the install.

2. In how long does the performance drop occur on the SSD(regular gaming

usage) where it starts effecting real life apps. As in if I am to use 1 SSD for

Win 7(64bit/32bit) and other for games how long before they go bad and will

{VBM18C1Q offers a “Performance Recovery” feature} this rectify that even

without Trim?

When the new firmware is released it will have TRIM but NOT G/C - the two work against each other, so I would advise anyone not using Windows 7 (or an operating system that does not support TRIM) to stick with the firmware that has G/C.

3. How bad is the performance drop and what duration are we looking at?

Performance drops depend greatly on how you use your SSDs - if you *write* a lot of data to the drives on a regular basis then performance for *writes only* will degrade pretty quickly, but will still be better than a spinning HD for most people.

4. Shud i go for drives that are offer trim as opposed to the P265?

If you're using Windows 7 then I would opt for the TRIM firmware version when it's released.

5. Also I read that a lot of P256 are failing. I live in India and will be getting the SSD's through a relative so RMA'ing etc will be a pain due to customs here.

Any piece of hardware or machinery will have a percentage failure rate - unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and things do go wrong and I understand your concerns, but if I remember rightly I think RAMGUY said that returns only accounted for 2% of the drives sold, which is pretty small.

Best of luck with your drives whichever versions you opt for - whichever you choose you will really enjoy the performance boost :biggrin:

One last question. If I go for the P256 and don't update the firmware to support trim, will G/C trim my drive and kep it in good working condition even if I continue to use Win7?

Thank you so much for the quick reply Dav. Will be purchasing the P256. This forum is much better than others :)

Will just wait for the drives when Trim support is launched I suppose (: or not .

I hate waiting like this.

Cheers

Providing the drives you buy have the latest firmware (VBM18C1Q) then all you need to do is boot into Windows, Log Off and let your computer idle overnight and the firmware's built-in G/C should kick in and clean up even in Windows 7. However once the new firmware comes out that supports TRIM then it might be worthwhile upgrading; but, I would wait a while to see if everything is OK with the TRIM enabled firmware and it doesn't throw up any unexpected surprises.

I can only assume that Samsung will release two versions of the firmware - one for those wanting to take advantage of TRIM and one for to update to 18C for those who don't want to use Windows 7.

I would like to add a little to this as well as a recommendation.

1. Just so you know TRIM is not supported on RAID arrays at this time. I have not seen/read anything stating when this will be available.

2. You might be better off with an Indilinx based SSD instead like the X256. The Indilinx drives have much better firmware support. They have TRIM support already as well as Garbage Collection via a GC Tool.

I have both Samsung and Indilinx SSD's and based on my experiences you are much better off with the Indilinx drive. Don't get me wrong. The Samsung drives are good but the Indilinx drives are a much better purchase if only for the user upgradable firmware support. I would not recommend the Samsung drive based on the lack of information and support by Samsung.

Archived