Corsair Community

Parttioning problems P256 / Win 7 64bit

FrankMattes

Dear all,

just recently I bought a new Lenovo T500 and an unused P256. I installed Win 7, 64-bit version.

After Win 7 setup was done I wanted to partition the P256 into a primary C drive (ca. 80 GB) for system files and a logical D drive (rest of P256) holding my data files.

Unfortunately I could not find the relevant options for doing so in Win 7.

I then used diskpart. In applying the shrink querymax command I got the response "Minimal volume size needs to be 130 GB".

I then installed two 130 GB partitions and bought Paragon's Partition Manager who already supports the 64-bit Win 7 with the idea of changing the partition sizes. After restarting Win the SSD locked and did not change the partition sizes.

With the help of the Win 7 DVD I could restart my system. Everything is working fine - except that I am still left with two identical partition sizes of 130 GB and that is not what I want.

Does anyone have a tip on how to proceed in installing two partitions 80 GB / 176 GB (primary / logical) on a Win 7 64-bit? A step-by-step procedure would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,

Frank.

You can install Windows 7 as normal and shrink the partition immediately after the install is complete.

Go into Control Panel > Administrative tools > Computer management > Disk Management

Right click the volume you want to split and select "Shrink". Type a value in Megabytes that you'd like the second partition to be. If you want the first partition to be a particular size, some math is involved. This has worked fine for me.

Jason

You can install Windows 7 as normal and shrink the partition immediately after the install is complete.

Go into Control Panel > Administrative tools > Computer management > Disk Management

Right click the volume you want to split and select "Shrink". Type a value in Megabytes that you'd like the second partition to be. If you want the first partition to be a particular size, some math is involved. This has worked fine for me.

Jason

Jason,

thank you for your support.

Yes I am aware of the procedure you described.

However this procedure does not address the problem.

If you want to shrink the volume, Win shows you a "maximum shrinkage" to which you can shrink the volume to (i.e. it telly you what the minimum volume size could be).

For some dubious reasons I can shrink the volume to half its size the maximum, i.e. I would be left with two partitions of equal size. For past systems I know that with 80GB for my system I would be fine whereas I would like to have as much space as possible for data files.

So to pinpoint the problem: What exactly is preventing the volume to shrink to 1/3 of its current size?

Best,

Frank

Hey Frank,

I had this same problem once. I knew that the 1TB volume I wanted to shrink only had around 100GB of data on it, though it would only let me shrink the 1TB volume by 50GB. I wondered why this was for a bit before I assumed it was because of fragmentation. To check my theory, I cloned just the data, not the free space of the 1TB drive. I then deleted the partition and recreated it as the size that I wanted and reimaged the data back onto the newly created volume. Creating the second volume was no problem of course. My theory was never proven from this test but the end result was what I was looking for.

I'm not sure if that information will help you but I hope that it does. Windows 7 creates a 100MB partition at the beginning of the drive with a default installation so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to create one that's 1/3rd the size of the drive.

Good Luck,

Jason

Archived