Corsair Community

X64 SSD Performance drop during W7RCx86 -> W7x64 move

IamJohny

Hi all,

I had X64 SSD for a few months and it did good 200Mb/sec read 100Mb/sec write speeds under Windows 7 RC 32bit version. Last week I've got a Windows 7 retail box and installed 64bit version to get a use of my 6gigs of RAM. Rigtht after install, I checked how my drive performs. But now it only does ~70Mb/sec read and ~50Mb/sec write speeds! Running it on i7 @ 3.5GHz with 3x2Gb Dominator chips. What's wrong and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks for advice!

John

The problem lies mainly in how much data has been written to the SSD - each install of an OS and programs chews at the available free cells. What happens is that once most or all of the free cells have been written to the controller on the SSD has to work harder to *write* information. It works a bit like this:

No free blocks - controller stores the data to be written in its cache .... controller looks for blocks where the data is no longer needed - if there is just once piece of information in a block that is needed then the controller has to take that data and write it into the cache before it can clear the blocks - once the blocks have been cleared then the data in the cache can be written to the newly cleared blocks.

Basically, the more the controller has to do in order to write then the slower the drives perfomanace will be for *writes* only - you will notice that your *read* speeds have not been affected.

Once the new firmware is released that supports TRIM/GC (either/or/both) then this problem will lessen in severity. Don't worry too much about it - I doubt that you will even notice the difference in normal day-to-day use.

I'm using an X-64 myself and my *writes* have dropped off pretty much to the same as yours but it hasn't affected me in a way that I notice - only the benchmark shows it; also, running too many benchmarks doesn't help either as that *writes* to a lot of blocks that could be used for your own use :-)

Yea, that's why I'm posting: both write AND read speeds are affected! :( I'd expect twice lower writing speed over time (it'll need time to erase and time to write = 2 times slower), but why read speed is affected so hard as well? That's what I can't understand it. That's why looking for advice.

Sorry didn't see the *read* speeds you quoted - still half asleep lol

Try this to get a better result for *reads*:

Check the orientation of your sata connections - put your SSD on Sata port 1, put your CD/DVD drive on the last port - put any other drives on the ports working backwards from the CD/DVD drive (i.e. SSD on port 1, CD/DVD drive on port 6, HDD1 on port 5, HDD2 on port 4, etc ). This will help to eliminate the possibilty of 'crosstalk' over the Sata ports and increase speed of the SSD.

How did you install the OS? Did you partition and format the drive before you installed the 64bit version? If you formatted was it through the Windows 7 installation routine or did you do a full format ( the latter is not a good thing to do).

Can you fill in your computer specs so I can see what else in your machine?

Ahhh Intel i7 chip ... and X58 board. There have been a few reports of SSDs returning bad results on the i7 CPU and X58 Chipset, but there is nothing reported as a solution to this problem thus far. It's been a matter of elimination of various other components and driver issues that have resulted in a positive solution for *some* people, but when the noted solutions were tried with someone else having the same problems they didn't work. It's a strange one this. Are you able to try the drive in a different system and benchmark it from there - just to try and rule out any possible problem with the drive itself?

Ahhh Intel i7 chip ... and X58 board. There have been a few reports of SSDs returning bad results on the i7 CPU and X58 Chipset,

Could you comment on this matter regarding P55? (1156)

Just want to know if there are some bugs in the 1156 line of mobos...

thanx

These boards and chips are still relatively new so there's nothing concrete to work from. Some advice to solve a problem works for one user, but the same advice doesn't work for someone else. It could be in the m/b chipset, it could be in the CPU or could be something else ..... too early to pinpoint specific areas with these new boards.

To make matters even more complicated Intel are working on another connectivity means called Light Peak which uses fibre optics to tranmit data between devices - something else that will add to the melting pot.

The only suggestion I can make now is to hold fire until more information becomes available - not very helpful I know, but until something concrete comes to light we're shooting in the dark.

Archived