Corsair Community

Relatively Poor X32 Write Performance Raid 0

karndog

Hi,

I have 2 X32 in RAID 0, just installed Windows 7 one week ago. ive ran several tests using ATTO and my write performance is much lower than what would be expected.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9846/atto.png

The read performance is excellent (458 mb/s :D: ) but as you can see the write performance is "only" ~195 mb/s.. much lower than this guys x64 RAID 0 results of around 333 mb/s http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82481

INFO

RAID 0 using Intel ICH10R 128 stripe size, 64kb allocation, quick formated

Gigabyte p45 UD3R latest BIOS

Fresh install of Windows Home Premium, minimal applications installled, only used 24gb of 59.5gb so far

4gb RAM

4.0 ghz e7500

using sata2 cables , slot 0 and 1

ran atto several passes now, same results each time.

X32s are boot drives

AHCI mode (same results in IDE mode though)

Ive also performed all the tips and tweaks for windows 7 in the sticky (great thread btw)

umm cant think of any other related info..

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

Please delete the array and then recreate it with 128K Block size in the Raid and 32K Allocation on the quick format and retest the array. But the X32 Drives are a bit slower than X64 and X128.

In this thread you will find Bench marks for single and Raid configurations of X-32 Gig Drives you can use this to compare the drives you have.

I thought the X32 and X64 had the same max read and write speeds? (220 and 135 MB/s) while the X128 was rated as being faster? (240 and 170 MB/s)

What would cause the X32 to have so much lower write speeds (only) when it shares the same max speeds and cache as the X64? Lower minimum and/or average speeds? Firmware bug/issue? Performing as intended?

I kind of feel like i've been mislead, kind of defeats the purpose of buying 2 X32s to put in raid0 when i couldve bought 1 X64 for $100 cheaper, sure the read speeds wouldnt have been as fast (until i bought a second one) but the write speed would be almost the same as what i have now, plus i couldve picked up another X64 later down the track, where i wouldve benefited from double the capacity and almost double the write performance, albiet at an extra cost.

Thanks for the reply but i dont think reformating my array will do much, as your tests show ur raid0 setup got pretty much the exact same write speeds as what im getting now. Your read speeds are alot slower than mine too for some reason?

Both our X32s are ~70% slower at writing than Manicks X64s.

Ill still try it when ive got time though..

Please delete the array and then recreate it with 128K Block size in the Raid and 32K Allocation on the quick format and retest the array. But the X32 Drives are a bit slower than X64 and X128.

In this thread you will find Bench marks for single and Raid configurations of X-32 Gig Drives yopu can use this to compare the drives you have.

How does deleting the array help with this exactly as I have the same issue in another thread I made.:confused:

Bump, any chance on some answers to these questions?

I thought the X32 and X64 had the same max read and write speeds? (220 and 135 MB/s) while the X128 was rated as being faster? (240 and 170 MB/s)

What would cause the X32 to have so much lower write speeds (only) when it shares the same max speeds and cache as the X64? Lower minimum and/or average speeds? Firmware bug/issue? Performing as intended?

Both our X32s are ~70% slower at writing than Manicks X64s.

• Corsair Employees

karndog

Please go to the product page and you will see under the resources Tab the read and write speeds advertised for all of the X-Series and your drives are with in spec.

batmeat,

If you did not set the Raid and allocation properly it will not have optimal performance. But it is your choice.

Archived