Corsair Community

16GB Flash Voyager only registers as 7.6GB...

fight4frdm

I apologize in advance if I am posting this incorrectly in the wrong location.

My Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB (CMFUSB2.0-16GB) is only registering as 7.6GB even after multiple formatting attempts with my PC. Is there any utilities or applications that I can use to correct this? or is my flash drive defective?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I just tried the SD-Card Utility and tried formatting it with different settings each time and it still only registers as 7.6GB. I also tried formatting it with Disk Utility on my macbook with no luck.

It was about a year ago when I purchased it new online... I think it was Newegg

Before now after I formatted it it would registered as a 16GB Flash drive, showing me around 15GB available free space (in FAT32). Now it is only registering as having 7.56GB free space (with the same FAT32) after formatting. It is in fact the 16GB version because it was showing up before now and it has G16G engraved on it's USB tip and on the blue LED indicator light on the drive it has 16G on it.

Is it possible one of the chips could have died leaving only half the space?

Here is a print screen of Disk Utility on my MacBook with the Corsair 16GB Flash Voyager (shown as only having 7.6 GB of capacity)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2668/4059802240_e4a78d1729_o.jpg

Here is the print screen of Disk Management on Windows XP Pro 32 bit with the drive shown as having only 7.56 GB (Shown as Drive "E:")

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/4059058587_796c09177b_o.jpg

As I said in my previous post the Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB (CMFUSB2.0-16GB) is only giving me half the space I initially received it with.

1815267146_16GBVoyagerPic1.JPG.31630d664f8ea3b8f00f78945b2ffbfa.JPG

1440311525_16GBVoyagerPic2.JPG.4437d9de1058947913943fe67b844bbe.JPG

• 10 months later...

I tried to no avail. It seems the answer to all of the problems posted on this forum is to replace the drive. That's a headache that I would rather not deal with. This happend to me once before and I somehow managed to fix it, can't remember though.

If you have any new fix suggestions that have not already been posted please do so.

• 4 months later...

Ok go to this page : http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

and download the free partition tool. install it and run it (make sure your flash drive is in the computer before running the program). once the program is open you should see a list of "Disks" with partitions listed underneath each "disk" one of the disks (labeled "disk 1" or "disk 2" etc.) should be your drive. you should see all the partitions of that drive (one of them should be 8 gigs and have the name and drive letter next to it that is the name and drive letter for your flash drive). you probably have one that says "unallocated" right near your flash drive. under whatever disk happens to be your flash drive, right click on each of the partitions and choose "delete" untill you only have one gray partition labeled "unallocated." then right click on that partition and choose "create." a window will pop up and just simply click ok. now down near the bottom left of the screen there should be a button that reads "apply." Double check to make sure that what you did was NOT to any of your main drives but only to the drive that had your flash drive's name in it. then click "apply." wait for it to do its thing (it may take a while) and you should have your full memory back!! :D

Archived