Corsair Community

New 800D /w H50

nitroburn

Hi All!

I just got a new system built for me by NCIX (bad habit since the old exposed core days when it was way to easy to break a processor).

I've got all the stock parts and settings at this point.

My Idle temps are ~40c and load temps sit about 70c. I haven't even overclocked yet, but this seems higher (10c) then my QX9650 /w an Ultra 120.

My question is if there are reccomended fan replacements for the case and/or H50 that can help increase my cooling. I have a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fan and a huge Scythe DFS123812H-3000 lying around. Would it be a good idea to use either of these in the case? The DFS seems a little too big (loud?) for the system (it was for performance use on the ultra-120). Maybe if it was in the middle of the case between lower PSU are and Upper area it could help with more airflow, but I bet it would be starved for air.

I don't mind purchasing a new set of fans, just want to learn from others experience here. I've been searching and reading the threads, but haven't found a good idea for replacements yet on the 800D.

Note, NCIX installed the H50 rad on the TOP rear vent. Is this an ideal placement? or should it vent out the rear and have extra exhaust on the top? Also, I assume the case NEEDS more air being cycled as I get a pretty good 5c drop /w the side panel off under load.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
Make sure that the power header you are using to plug the pump into is not throttling the power going to the pump, you should be able to disable any such features in the BIOS, but it may be a good idea to test a different power header on the board to be sure.

Make sure that the power header you are using to plug the pump into is not throttling the power going to the pump, you should be able to disable any such features in the BIOS, but it may be a good idea to test a different power header on the board to be sure.

The speed control in the BIOS is off by default. I did make sure to check that.

Got a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION today while I was away from the PC and it was idle (didn't overheat, g15 showed stats when it crashed it all temps were less then 40c). Upon rebooting the system, there were a ton of hard drive errors and orphaned files (that sure looked like system files). Now the system will no longer boot into Windows 7, just a black screen with a mouse.

Guess I'll be sending the machine back for repairs already. But before I do that, I might as well run memtest and other test apps. I know reinstalling windows will fix it, but for how long? I will give them a call tomorrow and see what I should do. No point in taking it in if all they will do is run Memtest and reinstall Windows. I can do that myself and not wait days.

Got my system back the other day and NCIX found NO problems with the hardware. I just hope this isn't some bug /w the Corsair X128 SSD as I see many reports of weird BSODs. Haven't seen anyone else get the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error then lose their drive contents though...

Cooling wise, Full load, stock i7 950 hasn't hit over 70c yet. Just wonder how much headroom I will have for overclocking.

Archived