Corsair Community

Has anyone had luck removing one of the old-style H50 back plates?

Jorsh

I currently own one of the original H50s, with the separate retention systems by socket type.

To make a long story short, motherboard was bad. I obtained a new one, but thanks to the adhesive backing plate, I haven't been able to remove it.

I inquired about a backplate, but was told to keep checking the online store for when the universal mount appears. Between having a lack of patience for whenever it'll appear on the store as well as concerns over the new universal mount (a lot of people seem to not like it), I've been trying to get my 1366 back plate removed so I can re-use it.

Someone in one thread suggested trying to put the motherboard in a freezer and let it stay in for awhile to try and remove it, but I tried that and the plate still refuses to budge.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

Very carefully.

Sorry that is all I can think of. I had to take the back plate off of mine and the same thing happened. I carefully took it off without breaking anything and my MB is fine.

Did you use anything to remove it?

I've tried applying pressure slowly, but the adhesive is so strong that the plate doesn't even begin to come off. Trying to remove it via the freezer method even ended taking a couple of small chunks of skin from my thumb, lol.

I used masking tape on mine. (remember that for future use)Been there, done that. Nothing like removing pcb traces with the sticky stuff on a $200 motherboard. :wtfman: WD-40 and a plastic putty knife works real good and it cleans up with rubbing alcohol nicely. Just take your time.

Hah, success! Used a screwdriver with a very thin flathead tip to easily pry it off the back (by placing the tip of the flathead between the Corsair backplate and the socket backplate).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Archived