Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D issues

Deriggs007

Hey everyone!

My first post here on the Corsair Support Forums and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my computer issues that have been haunting me for some time now.

I've been having a few issues on my setup for a long time now, and I can't seem to figure it out, I've came to the conclusion (unless someone can help) that it's either CPU/MOBO that's bad. Or the Corsair Dominators/Motherboard do not like each other at all.

I started with 2x2gb 1066 Domms that now fail memtest (even on another PC)

I figured it was the culprit and I can't go without my PC, so I dropped 150$ (since ddr2 ram is expensive now) on 4gb more of Corsair Domms so I can atleast "upgrade" my computer after I send in the 'bad' ram in and get it replaced

Well the problem still persists with the new ram installed... I immediately stuck it in and manually put the voltage at 2.1v @ 1066. I ran prime 95 and a worker would fail instantly, and then another worker would fail 6min later (4 workers total) I was like...oh boy - I ran memtest on the RAM and got errors on this brand new set!

I couldn't believe it, so I ran memtest from the bootable CD and didn't get any errors at all after letting it run for a night, yet running Memtest from the O.S directly did produce errors (windows 7 build 7100)

On the 'bad' ram - One stick doesn't boot at all at 800mhz+ (not with the other domm stick) but the stick that does work, has mem errors. I had to grab 1gb of my sisters computer to get the stick that doesn't boot, to actually boot up... her stick is 667 and that's what the ram had to run at.

Running the 1gb stick of my sisters returned 0 errors, and no BSOD, and Prime 95 workers kept running

What do you guys think?

GA-EP45-UD3P and Corsair don't like eachother, the mobo/CPU could be causing memory issues? The new set of Corsair RAM is ALSO bad...

As a side note, I had my system overclocked day/night for a few weeks with the 'bad' corsair ram which was good at the time. Everything was fine till I took the overclock off to run some benches with a friend

Ever since that day, I've gotten instability issues and BSOD. I'm very sick of it and I'm about to save some extra money and just go to Core i7 already. But I'd hate to do that, since for 1. It's not really worth it for me 2. I just spent $150+ on 4gigs of RAM, and for all I know, the other 4gigs are fine if the mobo is bad.

Specs:

Q9450 @ 2.66 (stock)

4gigs Corsair Domm's 1066 (Brand new set, I have another set that's supposedly bad)

Corsair 750 watt TX

GA-EP45-UD3P

2x 4870's 1gb each

Someone please help!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that both sticks in the first set I bought had mem issues. Though I thought it was just one (One would pass mem test, the other wouldn't) but then the non boot happened. The stick that doesn't boot seemed to always pass memtest, but the stick that does boot had the mem issues. I tested it more thoroughly and it did reproduce mem errors. I was convinced it just became unstable after use and letting it rest/cool down kept the memory issues away

EDIT AGAIN: I'm confident that it's a voltage issue somewhere. I overclocked my PC again and the more voltage/higher clock it goes, the more stable it seems to be running.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I've done all that already.

When I first had the BSOD and Mem errors, I updated the Bios, reinstalled Vista/Windows 7, reverted back to default bios settings, manually set everything, raised the voltage on the Motherboard (not past 2.1v for the ram)

But to no avail.

On the contrary, I did run Prime 95 again today while I was at work, and I didn't get a worker that failed after 9+ hours of Prime 95.... by overclocking the system :confused:

It's been a few days since I've posted here, and my computer is really starting to aggrivate me.

When I first got the ram, I ran a memtest and like I stated, it ran for a whole day/night and didn't find one error.

I've stressed my computer at default settings to reproduce the BSOD I've been having. I've ran memtest a few times throughout the couple of weeks I've had the ram and each result is different with the Corsair RAM.

I ran it when if first got it - No errors after a night of running from a bootable CD. But I had errors running memtest from windows.

I ran it a week after I got it, and got around 12 errors and thought, could be a fluke...

I ran it 2-3 days ago and I had 1 mem error on it (I thought, that's not bad, could be a something else) since it retested the ram like 10x throughout the night and didn't give me any more errors.

I ran it all night last night and now I have around 24 mem errors.... either this ram is failling like the other Corsair Dominator before it, or something in the PC is causing it to cause memory errors.

What should I do, Corsair?

EDIT: Everything is default, voltages/timings/speed are all at specified specs. I do not have another system to check the new ram on.

Since I just bought this RAM from Newegg, I think I'll just send it back and give up on this current setup with Corsair as the chosen RAM. The system runs fine on my sisters 1gb of Dell Samsung (which is made by you guys or vice versa, correct?)

Either the mobo/RAM don't like eachother, I'm unlucky and this ram is also going bad like the set before, or something is causing the ram to go bad.

Thanks Corsair!

Archived