Corsair Community

Corsair P128 Win7 Install Times

Mattf121

Hi guys, since upgrading to my SSD, most things have run really smoothly, however Windows 7 (Home Premium 64 bit) takes almost as long to install on my system as it did with the RAID0 WD Caviar Blacks. It takes about 20 minutes. I've read about it takes as little as 10 seconds for a lot of people with SSDs and am just trying to find out how long it should be taking. Have I got a dud?

The Firmware is the older version (doesn't bother me as long as it's fine) and the CPU is a Core 2 Duo E8400. It has a DFI Lanparty X48 motherboard. This spec will soon be upgraded to an i7 however so when that happens I will actually bother to add the specs to my profile.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Well... 10 second installation to transfer and decompress over 10gb of data from a cd/DVD player? I can smell the bullsh*t from over here... :) The treshold here is not ur discs i believe, its your CD/DVD player.

It could be possible tho if you perform the installation from another SSD disc but from a CD thats practicly and theoreticly impossible.

Well... 10 second installation to transfer and decompress over 10gb of data from a cd/DVD player? I can smell the bullsh*t from over here... :) The treshold here is not ur discs i believe, its your CD/DVD player.

It could be possible tho if you perform the installation from another SSD disc but from a CD thats practicly and theoreticly impossible.

OK, your right it does sound fishy, but how long does the install take for others, mine still SEEMS slow? I just want to make sure I know...

Not *theoretically* possible - it IS impossible. The average time to install Windows 7 from CD to SSD is approximately 15/20 minutes.. Manick is right is stating that the CD drive can only deliver data at a certain speed, much slower than the SSD can soak it up, so yes the CD is the bottleneck here.

Even if you go from SSD to SSD it still would not achieve this in 10 seconds, whoever is touting this must think its April 1st everyday lol :-)

It takes about 20 minutes. I've read about it takes as little as 10 seconds for a lot of people with SSDs

Methinks you're mixing up install times an boot times.

TBH, installation time is a pointless figure anyway, it's not as if you;re doing it every day (or at least, highly unlikely).

I boot my system once per week, and reinstall it once every 6 months. Neither time really interests me (though YMMV). To me, it's the speed of applications that. Though a 10 second boot would obviously be welcome too.

Jim

Boot times are dependent on system and what you have loading up at start-up so these will vary dramatically too. A fresh install with nothing added to it will boot up in about 10 seconds or less; once you start adding to the system then it will increase exponentially; at the mo my system boots in under 15 seconds with only what is necessary at boot up.

I would heartily recommend everyone to get hold of CleanMyPc registry cleaner (32bit and 64bit available); it not only cleans the registry, but it also shows you what is booting with your OS and allows you to either disable or completely remove items you don't want or need. It also gives you the opportunity to explore (and disable/remove) BHO's which often creep in during a software install and are not needed but can place a drag on performance.

I would suggest running it three times consecutively until it reports no errors found; about once a month or so check the fragmentation of your registry and if needed defrag it - you'd be surprised what it finds and cleans up and makes your system a little bit sweeter and less bothersome.

I did 2 clean installs on the same box, 15 minutes both times, Less patching.

Win7 Home premium 64, upgrade disk, on a clean P128 ssd. Quick format with 32K clusters.

I use and trust Auslogics BoostSpeed, But in using the registry cleaner I broke the first install of Win7 and could not recover/repair it, so I got the privilege of doing the second install.

When i installed Windows 7 Ultimate (released genuine), took me about 15 minutes to upgrade with my new X128, it seemed so much longer than it was because i was waiting in anticipation! YAY for windowz.

took 5 mins for it to copy the files over, and another 5 to uncompress and all that junk.

Then another 5 to find out it needed to finalize..

• Corsair Employee

Guys

You all know this can very widely deepening on how the system is configured and the HDD speed is actually a small part of the install. Granted faster HDD speed should be a faster install but it is really dependent on several other system components as well.

I would suggest if you are really interest in this go to Microsoft.com/technet and search for how to improve the install time for what ever O.S. you are using, but you may have to have an MSDN Member ship to see some of the information that Microsoft published about this.

Archived