Corsair Community

Ram Guy -- So where do we stand on getting the X256 problems resolved?

Diecast61

RAM GUY --

Several of your posts a couple of weeks back indicated that a solution to the X256 untimely deaths was imminent.

Where does Corsair stand on identifying and resolving the problem(s)? Have not seen any updates on these issues.

THANKS in advance for your help and any information you can provide. :confused:

Diecast61

He's got his foot up the engineers *****e$ according to one of his replies to me, but what do you want a bandage or a full recovery? I'll settle for a full recovery myself and just wipe and image the drives myself. Look back at some of the stuff I've posted and he's really clear that he can't wait more than any of us for the "fix" I'm giving him some slack for now.....

• Corsair Employee
Actually there is a FIX but there are still some issue's with how to implement the FIX or solution that we are trying to resolve. I am sorry I know that is a bit Vague but all I can say ATM, if you cannot wait I do understand and I would encourage you to call in and ask for me I will do my best to help you work this out! 800-205-7657

well at least it is getting there right !! its a shame though because it should have been out when windows put out a windows 7 demo that way people could of tested it and when the 22nd of oct came it would of been ready to roll as a proper tested update but as ever that is easy for me to say sitting here it cannot be that easy it must be hard so i for one am willing to wait until it works 100% when it is released

Ram Guy, I have a question.

I have x256 drive that failed and is not being detected anymore. I'm wondering if the firmware to be released would fix this drive, or is it too late after these drives fail?

Also, any update on the fix?

Ram Guy, any answer for my previous post?

I want to know if I will be able to upgrade the firmware on a drive which is not being detected or is RMA a must in this case? I'm in a far away country at the moment and sending the drive for RMA would cost tons of money. So, I'm not going to RMA unless it's the only choice.

Also, any update on the fix or why it is taking too long? Thanks.

Ram Guy,

I want to buy a X256, but have been holding off due to reports of a firmware issue.

You've mentioned in a couple of posts that you have an upgraded firmware, but currently there is no update tool available for consumers, yet the X256 FAQ still lists V1.0 as the current firmware.

Could you clarify the following

1) Are drives currently shipping with a newer version of the firmware and if so what is the version of the firmware? (The FAQ still lives V1.0 as the latest firmware)

2) Has Corsair made any effort to "recall" or "withdraw" the drives with the faulty firmware from the retail channel? ie. Are there still bad drives in the retail channel? If I buy a drive today, will it most likely have the good or bad firmware?

3) Given that the drives with the firmware issue do not perform as advertised (specifically the drives do not meet their advertised reliability metric of a "Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) of 1,000,000 hours), is Corsair offering a refund on failure, or only repair?

4) Can Corsair provide assurances that the firmware update for the drives won't significantly degrade the drive's read/write performance?

5) When will the a firmware update tool become available?

6) Has Corsair considered either recalling the drives, or changing the advertised MTBF spec to more accurately reflect the expected time between failure.

Thanks

- Andy

• Corsair Employee
1) Are drives currently shipping with a newer version of the firmware and if so what is the version of the firmware? (The FAQ still lives V1.0 as the latest firmware)

A: Yes as stated previously in this thread there is a new Firmware for the X-256 SSD Drives.

2) Has Corsair made any effort to "recall" or "withdraw" the drives with the faulty firmware from the retail channel? ie. Are there still bad drives in the retail channel? If I buy a drive today, will it most likely have the good or bad firmware?

A: There was not a recall, only issue was there was a higher than what we would consider normal failure with the X256 Drives and thus we stopped selling them, (about 2%) until a solution was found.

3) Given that the drives with the firmware issue do not perform as advertised (specifically the drives do not meet their advertised reliability metric of a "Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) of 1,000,000 hours), is Corsair offering a refund on failure, or only repair?

A: What are you talking about? There was a higher than "Normal" failure rate and we stopped selling the product...

4) Can Corsair provide assurances that the firmware update for the drives won't significantly degrade the drive's read/write performance?

A: At this time I am sorry I cannot! However the drives should perform about the same as spec'ed

5) When will the a firmware update tool become available?

A: As I have stated many times I have no update for that question!

6) Has Corsair considered either recalling the drives, or changing the advertised MTBF spec to more accurately reflect the expected time between failure.

A: Again what are you talking about?

My replacement X256 drive arrived today. When I looked at the firmware number with CrystalDiskMark is said version 1.0. Is there some way I can determine if this is indeed a fixed X256 drive? If possible I would prefer not to repeat the problems I had with the previous X256 drive.

I received mine but did not have a chance to do anything with it. I did however notice that it is a different lot # than the original.

Hoping to get to it this coming weekend or early next week.

I received mine but did not have a chance to do anything with it. I did however notice that it is a different lot # than the original. Hoping to get to it this coming weekend or early next week.
I tested the new X256 drive and unfortunately it has exactly the same problems as the previous one. It seems the problems are not fixed :[pouts:. I am giving up now and I am going to try to get a refund. Seems I am going to keep using my VelociRaptor for a long time. Slower, but very reliable.

Archived