Corsair Community

Terrible sound from Power Supply...

isalore

Hi,

I´m getting a low-pitched buzzing sound from my TX power supply 650w, very uncomfortable for the ear and it´s getting really frustrating.

It´s okay as long as I don´t run any of the latest games, it´s still there though, but when I run them the high-pitched noise cuts into my ears. Sounds terrible. If I put on V-sync helps ALOT but still not solving the problem

What am I supposed to do? I´ve tried everything that was said on the forums...

There´s no point replacing the junk with a new one, and I can´t rma because I didn´t buy it seperately, it came with a self built computer package from a store in Sweden...? And the shipping cost would be too much! I guess the only thing I can do is the buy a new power supply and hope it will work?

regards,

isalore

Sorry,

Motherboard: MSI P45 NEO-F

Graphic card: ASUS NVIDIA GTX 275

power supply: 650w TX

CPU: Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9550

RAM: 4gb DDR2

HDD: Seagate

I have tried disabling EIST C1E options in BIOS, enabling V-sync in games, which helps but not solves it, what else is there to do?

thanks in advance

Supposedly it is a feedback problem caused by the design of the GTX 275. My PSU does the same thing but also does it when I use older graphics cards to test the machine out. I'm still undecided on the issue and I've been reading about it for several weeks. Wish I could tell you more but it seems that the buzzing is a very hard thing to nail down and several people who have RMA'd their PSU's had the exact same issue with the new one.

If you are having the issue that is the feedback issue the only answer I've seen offered is to buy a different video card. I hear the 5xxx ATI cards are nice, and the GT3XX's are only a few months aways, hopefully you won't go deaf before then?(A little bit of bad humor)

Best of luck, let us know what you do.

I just wanted to post that I also have this issue with my HX1000W PSU from Corsair. I noticed that disabling C1E in addition to Speedstep slightly reduced the intensity of the buzzing, but did not eliminate it.

The buzzing (for me) is only present during GPU load. I can run Prime95 all day and not hear a peep out of the PSU. But the second I fire up a 3D game, or use the ATI tools stability stress test for the GPU, the buzzing begins immediately. The power connectors I have hooked up to the GPU are the two non-removable PCIe cables that come out in the same area as the 24-pin and 8-pin motherboard connectors. Not sure if that's relevant though. Also, I'm in Germany, so the wall outlets here are 230 Volt.

I'm not sure whether or not this is an issue with the PSU, the motherboard, or the GPU. I had the exact setup listed in my user information, only with a competitor's power supply. It produced some additional noise, only not as intense as the Corsair unit and with no pulsing.

I have read multiple postings about issues with the PWMs on GT200 and HD4000 series video cards causing whining/squealing on the cards themselves and feedback to the motherboard and/or power supply. So I'm highly suspicious of the GPU. My GPU (Sapphire HD4890 Toxic) produces squeals under stress regardless of what PSU I have plugged in, so I'm hesitant to blame this on Corsair....yet.

EDIT: Made a thread about this while being as descriptive as possible - http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82556

I noticed that disabling C1E in addition to Speedstep slightly reduced the intensity of the buzzing, but did not eliminate it.

The buzzing (for me) is only present during GPU load. I can run Prime95 all day and not hear a peep out of the PSU. But the second I fire up a 3D game, or use the ATI tools stability stress test for the GPU, the buzzing begins immediately

I think you have your answer from these 2 statements. Factors external to the PSU are causing the buzzing to change. Also, try disabling Vsync if you have not already.

I think you have your answer from these 2 statements. Factors external to the PSU are causing the buzzing to change. Also, try disabling Vsync if you have not already.

Just to note, I also tried this in a game (where the buzzing is pronounced). I fire up Champions Online to begin the buzzing. When V-Sync is disabled, the buzzing is actually louder and more intense. Enabling it slightly lowers the intensity and volume of the buzzing, but does not eliminate it, as it is still very noticeable.

I typed up a whole thread regarding this, being as descriptive as possible about all possible factors:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82556

I want to help get to the bottom of this so you guys can identify whether this is a universal component issue that needs addressing.

It's not a PSU component issue and our PSUs are fully ATX compliant. The issue resides with the GPUs.

I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that the power supplies were not compliant in general. I was referring to universal component incompatibility (such as with certain video cards or motherboards) that would cause audible disturbance from feedback.

I have done quite a bit of reading regarding the power management problems on various "current generation" cards such as the GTX2-- and HD48-- cards. They seem to produce high pitched whines from the cards themselves, but as to whether this causes feedback to the PSUs and in turn noise from there as well....I'm not so clear on, as there seem to be many cards that make this noise but don't cause PSU buzzing. My 4890 produces the whine sometimes (from the card itself) likely due to that issue, but hasn't caused any other PSU to buzz.

For instance, in my setup, with other power supplies (competitors and similar wattage outputs at 1250 and also 1000) there was no PSU buzzing, even with all other components being identical. Is it possible that those PSUs were simply able to absorb the feedback without any auditory indicator, unlike the HX1000 (or another random model)? :confused:

Again, I'd prefer to keep the HX1000 as the efficiency and overall performance seem to exceed the others. But the cicada buzzing whenever the GPU is under load is getting very....irritating :(

Archived