Corsair Community

Toasty 42C idle temps

joytech22

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Stock clocks with my brand new Corsair H50 seems to idle at a toasty 42C, but the cooler sure does its job while i put it through some benchmarks!

Yes i did put the Fan controller to keep the pump at Max RPM, yes i did connect the fan in front of the radiator and to suck air Into the case, Yes the fan is connected to the CPU Fan thing.

Are these normal temps? during load temps still peak around 45-51C, which i think is GREAT! Because in Australia the temperatures get really hot really fast!

EDIT: Yes i have made a few threads, sorry if i'm getting annoying but i always like to make sure.

That seems kind of high but maybe because its hot there.Its about 20c in this room and these are my low and high temps running prime 95 for an hour with the H50 in my coolermaster storm sniper black case with 3 200mm fans.And by the way,I ran the H50 fan as exhaust because I couldnt see running the fan as intake in a case I bought for the dust filters and sucking dust in.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7845/tempsgc.jpg

I honestly don't remember as I was not focusing on temps in that review. But, if you are at 42c with stock clocks and voltage, and it only goes to 45c-51c under load, something is reporting wrong somewhere. Our cooler is good but a quad under load is going to swing the temps more than that. My opinion is that either your idle temps or your load temps, are being reported incorrectly.

All temps are monitored with Speedfan but i will check them in another program after typing this, and will edit accordingly

EDIT: Core Temp reports 39C as high but that is during idle, and core temp also reports the wrong socket for the CPU, reported as AM2+.

The image below is with Prime95 Running, but was only running for like 2 minutes.

NOTE: Temp3 on speedfan is the chipset, temp2 is one of the cores i think, because it goes up with CPU usage, but now ive seen both temps from both programs i guess Core is actually the real CPU temp (Never wudda thought that..)

http://fgclansite.zoomshare.com/files/temps_2_.jpg

I honestly don't remember as I was not focusing on temps in that review. But, if you are at 42c with stock clocks and voltage, and it only goes to 45c-51c under load, something is reporting wrong somewhere. Our cooler is good but a quad under load is going to swing the temps more than that. My opinion is that either your idle temps or your load temps, are being reported incorrectly.

but how can you know this if you haven't tested the Phenom IIs for temperature? u know what i mean?

With greatest respect, maybe you corsair guys could actually test a phenom II with the H50 and let us know what u find, then we will know if there is a problem or not. Also then you could give us AMD users genuine support, not just opinions.

Really appreciate you guys popping in here and taking the time to help us.

---

Joytech22, your temps seem to follow the trend as shown on the forums here by other phenom II users, so dont panic. (at least until yellow beard or ram guy or who ever manages to post results that contradict us).

core temp 0.99.5 is showing cpu #0 at 44 degs, this is the socket temperature measured by your mb. For me on idle, this is around 38 degs. EDIT to add that socket temp is usually around 5 degs cooler than core temp

SpeedFan 4.39 Is showing that socket temp as "core" you are right that Temp 2 is core temp (phenom IIs only have 1 temp sensor built in). I REALLY hope that temp 3 is ur gfx card :p:

With greatest respect, maybe you corsair guys could actually test a phenom II with the H50 and let us know what u find, then we will know if there is a problem or not. Also then you could give us AMD users genuine support, not just opinions.

It's not an opinion. It is a fact that you have an issue somewhere with your reporting. There is no possible way that you idle at 42c and swing only to 45c-51c under 100% load. Our cooler is good but it's not that good.

It's not an opinion. It is a fact that you have an issue somewhere with your reporting. There is no possible way that you idle at 42c and swing only to 45c-51c under 100% load. Our cooler is good but it's not that good.

My opinion is that either your idle temps or your load temps, are being reported incorrectly.

sure sounds like an opinion :D: just messing, i know where you're coming from and I've taken your quote out of context.

The problem i have is that while you say its not right, all the actual numbers posted by Phenom II users here and other forums follow the same trend, regardless of cooler used. that is a low delta between idle and load temps. I have noticed this to be the case even with the stock cooler.

obviously this is not an issue with the unit, and given that we are using different monitoring software motherboards, bios and north bridges etc then it probably narrows it down to an AMD processor thing, but lets not scare people or send them on wild goose chases, since if it was an issue then it would have been flagged about a year ago when they were released.

unless you can provide numbers that say otherwise? please?? :p:

I don't currently have a running Phenom II system assembled and it will be a while before I do. But, I can tell you that I see almost daily issues with software monitoring utilities reporting incorrect temps and voltages to users. You cannot rely on these utilities to be accurate. Also, some of the early Phenom II 940s and 955s were rumored to have temp sensor issues but, they did not effect performance. However, your CPU is going to heat up more than 3c-9c when at 100% load. It's 4 cores and a 125w CPU.

Have you you looked at your temps in the BIOS to see what the board is reporting? If it's a voltage reading it can be verified with a voltage meter. However, temps are much harder to validate. If you aren't having issues then I guess there is no goose to chase.

You can't take screenshots from the BIOS. What I am asking is to compare the idle temp shown in your BIOS' hardware monitor and compare that to the idle temp shown in your monitoring utility when in the OS. It's not an exact science but it will give you 2 numbers to compare.

Of course this is not scientific proof but, another user at this forum has a 965 BE 140w which higher stock voltage than the 955. His idle temp using the H50 is 34c.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=423606&postcount=11

The temp reporting can vary from BIOS to BIOS, from MOBO to MOBO etc. And, software depends upon all of these factors which can vary so much. So, again, I would not rely on software system utilities to make decisions about your system.

keep in mind that the performance of the h50 is dependent on the air used to cool it. if you have a higher ambient, then your going to have a higher idle and max temp.

i did testing on my 955be when i first got it to have a baseline for when i oc'd it.

ambient was 21c. idle temps 30c all cores.max temp under 7hr prime blend 46c.

now my 955be is oc'd to 3.6. when i did my testing the ambient was 21c. it idles at 31c, max temp 49c under prime, linx and occt testing.

every users numbers wil lbe different because of hardware and ambient temps. you cannot assume every 955 / h50 cooler combo will perform the same as everyone elses. all you can do is use others temps and info as a guideline.

also when youre doing your testing, use one monitoring program at a time. and wait until your cores drop all the way down to minimum idle temp before starting another test so your results can be more accurate... the other thing is do not use the bios reading for the temps. this usually reads the cpu temp, not the cores. cpu temp is usually a bit higher than the cores.

actually i would think that AMDs cool n' quiet is still enabled.

Even if it is, Cool n Quiet has absolutely no effect on a CPU at 100% load. 100% is just that, 100% full load meaning full power draw.

i did testing on my 955be when i first got it to have a baseline for when i oc'd it.

ambient was 21c. idle temps 30c all cores.max temp under 7hr prime blend 46c.

now my 955be is oc'd to 3.6. when i did my testing the ambient was 21c. it idles at 31c, max temp 49c under prime, linx and occt testing.

25c and 28c temp swings under 100% load sound more realistic. ::pirate::

PLEASE NOTE, i am very happy with the temperatures i am getting with this even if they may be higher than most other people get, because 35+ - 45C is much better than stock 50-60C.

Well the Idle temp in this room at this time is 26.2C and during idle core temp reports 38C.

running prime for one hour yielded a top temperature of 46C at the same room temperature.

Is it safe for me to run Prime for a while longer with my current specifications, Atm im worried about over stressing my PSU.

My PSU did not come with two CPU power cable things, so i could only use one, here's a pic.

http://fgclansite.zoomshare.com/files/big.jpg

And heres the original Motherboard photo

http://fgclansite.zoomshare.com/files/big1.jpg

25c and 28c temp swings under 100% load sound more realistic. ::pirate::

definitely not. i mean you have calculated from the ambient temps anyway so its only a 15 / 16 temp "swing" but i would say a 25 degree "swing" is very unusual for a phenom2 cpu.

this is not intel, it does not go up to 100, it only goes up to 62, we have lower deltas here. seriously now, a 25 degree "swing" is REALLY unusual for a phenom2.

15/16 is realistic.

Archived