Corsair Community

When will Corsair offer TRIM or manual restore software for P-series in OSX?

mac_31

Hi!

I just found out that my fairly new P128 slows dramatically down after some time, although it's still really fast here. Every SDD does this, but the problem with Corsair’s SSDs is that the response time slows down to 15 times the original speed, over 6 times more than the other brands!

Corsair really needs to deliver some kind of TRIM/restore function (software utility or new driver) or similar to HFS and Mac OSX too, not just Windows and NTFS.

To wait for Mac and OSX to support TRIM is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

It should be easy enough to make some kind of utility that can be run manually on MACs to restore SSD speed, without interfering with the written data on the drive.

Can we, the users of Corsair SSDs, expect some solution of this hardware design flaw (yes, about 6-7 times more slowdown than the competition is a flaw)? At this time, there are no definite answers for us mac-users, which is very frustrating. :(

Sorry for the negative tone, I would greatly appreciate any info on the matter. Thanks for listening.

Corsair just sells the drives, you should take this up with Samsung and Steve Jobs.

OSX support of TRIM is not Corsairs responsibility.

thats just my unsolicited .02 opinion

and for a penny more...

id like to see all these TRIM/GC commands be written to and used at the BIOS level so regardless of the OS, the boards themselves will support the functions.<-makes sense, yes?

TRIM is a Windows 7 function implemented by Microsoft and those hardware vendors that have been savvy enough to cooperate in its development for SSDs. It is implemented at an OS level in conjuction with firmware that supports it.

For Mac's it is up to Apple to work in conjuction with the hardware vendors (in the instance of SSDs that is Samsung and Indilinx as they write the firmware NOT Corsair) to work on a Mac version of TRIM .... this is not something that works independently of the OS.

There are tools (Indilinx controllers) that act in a similar way to TRIM and they are end user named as Wiper ..... however, the Wiper tools are only good for certain drives, running certain firmware and they're not foolproof as yet. There have been many issues reported by end users of Wiper tools *bricking* their drives, which is probably why Corsair, in their wisdom, have decided not to go down that path until the issues are sorted.

Get in touch with Apple and ask them when they are implementing TRIM in their OS; if memory serves me right, then I believe their next OS will have some kind of TRIM but I can't be 100% sure.

Well, I don't buy that. Other manufactures of SSDs offers a manual restore utility/software, that can be used to speed up their SSDs. Since Corsair has a product that suffers from SIGNIFICANTLY more slowdown than the rest of the competition, they should definately offer some similar utility for SSDs Mac/OSX users. It shouldn't be *that* difficult to make a small program that will reset the unused memory cells on the P128 (or other models) for Mac/OSX also.

To say that Corsair simply sells the SSDs, so they have no responibility over the usability and software support is not good enough.

I'm definately not gonna buy another Corsair SSD if they don't take care of this problem. Normally I wouldn't raise a stink like this, but this P128 drive I bought was expensive, and the quality of the support should reflect that IMO.

Thanks for listening. Are there any Corsair employees on this forum at all btw?

Thanks.

What don't you buy?

Two well known SSD m/f's have tried to release firmware early only to recall it because it didn't work and caused numerous problems.

Wiper tools only work on certain SSD's (go to the other m/f's sites - Google for them) and again there have been loads of complaints that the wipers either don't work or have *bricked* their drives and BTW there are *NO* Wiper tools for any Samsung controller based SSD's from *ANY* of the SSD m/f's.

As someone who is interested in SSD's I have researched high and low to find out as much as possible - and BTW I've been in the computer game for over 30 years as a programmer, builder and service engineer.

I don't work for Corsair but I have found their products and their support to be first class - there are obviously some things that need to be sorted out and it is down to their engineers to find out what the problems are; this all sounds easy when saying it, but actually finding the cause to a problem is not so easy.

If you want an analogy, just take a look at the medical world and all the experts working on cures for diseases that currently cannot be cured; before you can cure something (whether medical or mechanical) you have to find out the cause and that is long, hard, time consuming, resource hungry part of the solution.

As previously stated, the problem of TRIM implementation is in Apple's ballpark. When Corsair release the firmware that supports TRIM (very soon) if your Mac OS does not support the feature then that's not Corsair's fault it's Apple's.

Hi Ram Guy!

I have the latest(?) firmwire version (VBM18C1Q), that allows for "idle refreshing" in windows and as a NTFS partition. That doesn't help me though..

It would be great to know if there is something in the works for us OSX users (a refresh utility etc.). That way the users know an effort is being made. (Instead of just making a new SSD model later on, and fixing the problem then. These are expensive disks after all.) The Corsair SSDs are fast, but this slowing down problem put them at a serious disadvantage when there is no refresh option available (as in OSX).

Thanks for listening.

• Corsair Employees
I have the latest(?) firmwire version (VBM18C1Q), that allows for "idle refreshing" in windows and as a NTFS partition. That doesn't help me though..

It would be great to know if there is something in the works for us OSX users

I do understand but you are asking the wrong people, you need to talk to Apple about this.

TRIM is an ATA command and not restricted to any specific O.S. That being said Apple was one of the first manufactures to adopt SSD technology in their new systems so I would have to expect they are indeed working on improvements to their O.S. But it would be best to talk to the source for this.

I call this "repudiation of liability". I know TRIM is an OS issue, but that doesn't stop Samsung/Corsair developing an independent program/utility which can be run by the user - to refresh the unused memory cells. Corsair/Samsung offer refresh function in Win7 which is great, but there are plenty of us OSX users too..

Thanks for listening anyway.

I call this "repudiation of liability". I know TRIM is an OS issue, but that doesn't stop Samsung/Corsair developing an independent program/utility which can be run by the user - to refresh the unused memory cells. Corsair/Samsung offer refresh function in Win7 which is great, but there are plenty of us OSX users too..

Thanks for listening anyway.

The problem (and likely the reason why Samsung is careful) is that to know which blocks are unused, you need to interpret the File System. So it is not about Windows or OSX, it is about NTFS or HPF.

While we say that 'Windows supports TRIM', we mean that Windows NTFS driver supports it, I am not sure about Windows FAT driver for example.

So it is unrealistic to expect Samsung to make the firmware or utility to understand all possible file systems. Or utilities for them. You have to understand, they would need to understand it from the binary side up, not from the usual user side down. I agree, Apple's HPS can put up a good battle with Linux's EXT3 to get supported second, but it quite logical they did NTFS first.

And ultimately, the function should be placed back into the OS's file system driver. Linux 2.6.28 supports TRIM, as does Windows 6.1 (or Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2, as are the popular names) So that every time the file system designs is updated, you do not run the risk of having it damaged by old or faulty firmware.

Ergo, you really do need to ask Steve, all we can demand from Samsung is their side of the TRIM, not to understand the entire and all possible file systems.

• Corsair Employees
You made some great points and Samung and Corsair are working on our aspects of this and it is up to all of the manufacturers be-it hardware or software to get on the same page. And all of this is new so it takes some time to work these things out! If products were not released until all of the testing was done we would still be using Pentium 3 systems and AMD would something running a lab somewhere still. And most of us would still be using Windows 3.11 and Twitter, facebook, and Myspace would be the dream of some nerd in some college somewhere.

Archived