Corsair Community

X256 RAID5 + TrueCrypt = Bright side of life?

Steppenwolfli

Hi everyone,

I would like to use four X256's to build a RAID5 with a 3ware 9650SE SATA II hardware RAID controller (system volume) and Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Additionally I'm going to use TrueCrypt system drive encryption - are the performance maintaining functions of the SSD workling properly under these conditions?

Thank you very much for the information!

• Corsair Employees
I would suspect the True Crypt will severely dampen the performance but as far as I know there has not been any testing in that situation. I would suggest asking the maker of the Raid card and True Crypt for their take on the questions.

Thanks for your reply.

I know about the theoretical performances of TC (depends on CPU) and the RAID controller; I'm more concerned about the functionality of the X-SSD's "refreshing tools"(like the current P-Series only works with NTFS) and the loss of performance over time. I guess if these work with a RAID controller in general an extra TC encryption shouldn't be problem...?

• Corsair Employees

I think you may have made some assumptions that may or may not be correct.

I'm more concerned about the functionality of the X-SSD's "refreshing tools"(like the current P-Series only works with NTFS)

A: No where did I ever say it would only work with NTFS, I said that according to Samsung the Garbage collection of firmware version VBM18C1Q; it was only tested with NTFS file system, I never said it would not work with any other file system, in fact I know there are several users running them in Apple systems and have no problems.

I guess if these work with a RAID controller in general an extra TC encryption shouldn't be problem...?

A: I would strongly encourage you to do a bit more research on what you are trying to do, there are differences in the way SSD drives work that may not work in this configuration the way you may expect.

I'm sorry that I didn't express myself more clearly:

My expectations/requirements:

- >= 600 GB disk space in one piece

- SSD typical access time

- >= 200 MB/sec seq. write (system's CPUs are powerful enough for this speed while using TrueCrypt)

- protection against data loss caused by hardware failure of a single piece of equipment

I'm not that much of a hardware guru but I thought all these goals could be reached by building a hardware RAID5 with X256 SSD (RAID controller in use in current system). The RAID5 performance is about three times the speed of a single member drive (already tested with SATA hardware RAM drives).

My only uncertainty is that the initial performance is going to degrade over time (I don't mean the differing drive's speed that's depending on how full the drive is) and therefore wanted to know if the X256's built-in refreshing capabilities with current firmware worked if joined together in a RAID5 array. What further research should be done related to this? All other components fullfill the requirements and to be sure regarding the SSD I posted here in this forum.

At this time i'd prefer the X-Series because of the more frequent firmware updates.

I'm sorry that I missinterpreted that part of the P-Series' FAQ:

"Q: Will the performance of my P-Series SSD reduce over time?

A: P-Series SSDs with firmware VBM18C1Q offers a “Performance Recovery” feature, which allows the controller to maintain optimal performance over time. For this feature to function the SSD must have at least 15% free space available and be formatted using the NTFS file system. "

Archived