Corsair Community

4 out of 6 GB available on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Jesterhead

Hello all, I'll get straight to the point: My bios only registers 4 of my 6gb with ram. I have made sure they're seated in the correct places, I've also switched them around and tried all combinations possible to make sure it's not a faulty stick. The funny thing is, Windows is able to notice that I have 6GBs of ram, but there it says only 4 are usable.

I'm no expert at this, so there might have been something obvious that I've missed. If further info is needed, then please ask, I'll answer as fast as I can.

Edit: Just thought I'd add the fact that I'm running on the latest BIOS available at stock clock.

Edit 2: I installed CPU-Z and made sure the RAM isn't allocated to my graphics card. CPU-Z also reports 6GB of RAM.

Thanks guys. :)

Memtest 86+ showed no errors, also looked for a bent pin in the socket, but none available.

I found out this, however; DXDiag shows my Video card is eating up 2.7GB ram, this doesn't show in CPU-Z or the software following the Gigabyte mobo (Easy Tune 6)

Here's some screenshots of my DXDiag:

http://www.wowbucket.com/uploads/1256627721.png

I know this might be outside of Corsair's supportfield, but is there an easy way to configure this the right way?

Thanks for your help so far.

Hello all, I'll get straight to the point: My bios only registers 4 of my 6gb with ram. I have made sure they're seated in the correct places, I've also switched them around and tried all combinations possible to make sure it's not a faulty stick. The funny thing is, Windows is able to notice that I have 6GBs of ram, but there it says only 4 are usable.

I'm no expert at this, so there might have been something obvious that I've missed. If further info is needed, then please ask, I'll answer as fast as I can.

Edit: Just thought I'd add the fact that I'm running on the latest BIOS available at stock clock.

Edit 2: I installed CPU-Z and made sure the RAM isn't allocated to my graphics card. CPU-Z also reports 6GB of RAM.

Thanks guys. :)

Please look over the tips in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82274

Please look over the tips in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82274

Interesting. Another thing is that my channel A timings are marked N/A in BIOS, while channel B and C are lit up with the correct timings.

Could this be an issue with the latest BIOS revision? Am I being a dumbass and missing something obvious? Or could this be an obscure hardware error?

Gigabyte's customer support is nonexistent.

Another thing I'm curious about after reading through the info you posted in that link is: What IS my voltage supposed to be set at? The sticks themselves say 1.5v, but the info on the dealer's page says 1.65v. Will upping the voltage to 1.65 damage my RAM?

God I hope wrong voltage is what causes these problems...

Been in touch with my vendor today, will do more extensive memory testing, and if memtest86+ will pass, they will check out the mobo for hardware errors.

I will report back to this thread so it can be used for reference on later occasions. Thanks for the great feedback so far.

Sorry to have bothered you guys. I recently found out after I unscrewed the motherboard from my case, that one of the "pins" was misaligned after all.

I did correct it (quite easily, in fact) and now POST shows 6xxxMBs of installed memory. However, only 5 are marked "usable" in Windows. I suspect this is caused by another slightly bent pin. I will borrow some optics from work and go examine it even more thoroughly.

The socketpins on this architecture are quite fragile, I barely had to touch the thing for it to almost "pop" back in place.

Again, thanks for the good advice and fast answers, your product is not at fault here.:winking:

Archived