Corsair Community

X256 Dead after clean install of Windows7 and downloading updates and emails

flipblade

Installed windows 7 clean install. Started to download emails and other drivers/software (all at once). System crashed and then hard drive would no longer show in BIOS...Tried all day to get it back with no luck. I am seeing similar posts on this Forum...I would like Ram Guy to approve this RMA, been a very long day, ending up returning to my 300gb Raptor.

My Batch number seems to be of 09320106

Humm, so this drive might work if i switch to windows 7 32 bit? Im willing to try anything.

What i have do thus far...not much since the dang thing cease becoming a harddrive once it crashed. I thought i fried it somehow.....i didnt smell any shortage, not sure WTH i coulda done wrong it was a clean install....i didnt even upgrade.

It was working very well and fast and i clearly recalled synching my exchange account where it was downloading 1.5gb of mail from the server. I was also downloading my steam account and Aion was also downloading/installing in the background. I was also installing ventrilo and some other minor programs, G19 keyboard, etc....you think all that disk writing fried the SSD (i was installing several things and plus windows update was also running int he background)? I had previously rebooted several times for other updates without problems, but it crapped out when i was downloading/installing a bunch of things at once.

Currently back on my old hard drive. I will try again to plug it back in and see if it will register...but i did that all day and night yesterday. Maybe some cool down time will "reset" it?

Thanks, hoping something helps me fix this cause its too expensive to not work and one of the main reasons i got an SSD was that it wasnt suppose to fail!!!

Hi Flipblade

I'm running Win7 64bit on an X-64 and I've had no problems whatsoever. Try the following:

Move your SSD to sata port 1 and put your optical drive on the last sata port (unless it's an IDE drive of course). Disconnect all your other drives and remove one of your graphics cards.

Try installing windows 7 64bit (32bit windows will only see upto 3.5GB so your memory would be wasted).

If windows 7 goes in ok reconnect your other drives and reboot - if this works fine then we're starting to cook ..... now reinstall your other graphics card .... if everything works fine then problem solved (so far) .... if at anytime you BSOD after a successful windows install then we need to look at either drives, graphics cards or driver conflicts. If you do BSOD at anytime *after* a successful install make a note of what you did before the BSOD.

If you BSOD during install then I would suggest checking your memory modules just in case any of them are failing.

I know its a pain in the *** to go through all of this, but sometimes adding new hardware often highlights a weakness or failing piece of hardware somewhere else in the system .... the need to eliminate all possibilities before looking at the SSD is painstaking but often worthwhile.

Hi I just did that, I have 1 vid card gtx295 in system but its a dual gpu card. (i only listed 2 because the darn thing asked me to fill in) I am still running Win7 64....BIOS did not detect my x256 even after several tries.

So currently, SSD is in SATA port 1 and BRROM is in SATA port 4.

So are you suggesting, I try and reinstall Windows even though BIOS doesnt register the hard drive at all?

Ill do that in a bit....most frustrating and expensive drive i have bought to date and i have several older samsung SSD drives that work without any issues. the X256 seems to have some controller issues? Again, the system boots up fine if i plug in my raptor.

Thanks for the tips! Im willing to try anything once to get it working.

My X128 again caused a BSOD. After the BSOD the second of my 2 X128s will not initiate during startup, the only fix is to pull the power and plug back in, it seems to do the trick every time. It's always the same drive that doesn't initiate, my next move is to try different sata ports and cross my fingers....

If your BIOS is not detecting the drive at all then remove it from the system - power down your system completely (i.e. unplug it from the mains) leave both for 30 minutes or so and then reconnect the SSD and your optical drive only .... see if it is detected.

The other solution is to hard clear the CMOS using the jumpers on the motherboard and then reinitialising the BIOS with the default settings; this is fiddly so try the other option first. I would also check your CMOS battery, sometimes its the one thing we tend to forget about.

BSOD's are generally intitiated through hardware problems - either failing hardware, driver issues or just simply because one piece of hardware can't live with another.

Mine still doesnt show up, unpluged it, swapped the sata port.....going to try a reinstall of windows 7 now.....to see if windows detects it somehow.

Is there a trick as to when you plug in the power? Something is preventing the BIOS from registering the drive for some reason.

Thanks

No, I just make sure the BIOS sees the Corsair RAID array and that it's set to be initial boot drive...sounds to me like you've just simply got a bad drive. One question: If you plug another drive into the same SATA port you have the SSD does your BIOS see it? If the BIOS does than most likely it's time to ask for an RMA.

Ya, i just tested this i have litterally tried every SATA port now and nothing....i beleive the X256 is gone... BIOS wont see the drive no matter what i have tried so far.

will check and see if Ram Guy will approve my RMA tomorrow as im not sure what else i can do...

If anyone else has any tips left im willing to test them out since i have already invested this much time trying to get it working.

Hi Ram guy can you check on my case number, according to my tracking info the defective drive arrived at your offices last Thursday but the corsair RMA website indicates it has yet to be received. It was shipped Fedex 2 Day and signed for by M.Patel.

Can you give me an estimated turn-around time for the drive?

CASE #1173522

Thanks much!

Archived