Corsair Community

Front Power Button does not work

MrLithic

I put together a new machine yesterday with a new Corsair Obsidian 800D.

Everything has worked out well, except for the front power button.

The motherboard has a power and reset button on the board, and I have been able to start up the computer using this.

However, the front power button does not seem to working. I have removed and reinserted the front panel connectors onto the motherboard to ensure that they were placed correctly.

The Front Panel LEDs will light when the machine is turned on from the motherboard power button, but the Front Panel power switch will not turn on the machine.

I am posting this question here to see if there is anything else I should check before I put in for a return.

Before going the RMA route, use an ohm meter or conductivity testing tool to check the switch as follows;

1) Disconnect all power from system.

2) Disconnect the front panel power switch from motherboard, at the mother board header.

3) Connect an ohm meter to the front panel power switch leads that normally connect to the motherboard.

4) Resistance should read very high when the switch is open (not depressed).

5) Press the front panel power switch & note if the resistance drops substantially, approaching zero ohms. If this occures, your front panel power switch is good & your problem is elsewhere.

The front panel switch actually tested fine with the ohmmeter.

So after disconnect it from the motherboard, I shorted the pins and started the machine that way. That would have been something I would have normally done but the power button on the board was too easy.

Once I did that, I reconnected the front panel power button pins and presing the button fired up the box. So, it was a board problem rather than a case issue.

Thanks for the help.

The front panel switch actually tested fine with the ohmmeter.

So after disconnect it from the motherboard, I shorted the pins and started the machine that way. That would have been something I would have normally done but the power button on the board was too easy.

Once I did that, I reconnected the front panel power button pins and presing the button fired up the box. So, it was a board problem rather than a case issue.

Thanks for the help.

You might want to check the connectors and make sure the female pins are inserted all the way and that they will not come out when you pull lightly on them. I have had that happen before.

Archived