Corsair Community

Multiple Partitions and auto-cleanup

cybermaus

Hi,

The FAQ states that the “Performance Recovery” feature only works on a NTFS partition. Very clear. But if I have 2 NTFS partitions, will it still work? On both? Is a single partition advised?

I have a Performance P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D, with the VBM18C1Q firmware.

The reason for the question is, my default laptop setup is one partition for OS and programs, and one for data, so I can 'ghost' an old stable version of the programs easily.

Also, in a slight tangent: So for Linux there are no proper utilities for performance recovery, other than a full wipe?

Thx

• Corsair Employees
The FAQ states that the “Performance Recovery” feature only works on a NTFS partition. Very clear. But if I have 2 NTFS partitions, will it still work? On both? Is a single partition advised?

A: Unknown to your first question, but no one has complained it did not work with more than one partition. And the official statement from Samsung only mentioned "NTFS file system and nothing about having more than one partition.

Also, in a slight tangent: So for Linux there are no proper utilities for performance recovery, other than a full wipe?

A: Samsung only stated it had been tested with NTFS they did not claim it would not work with other file systems. So there is no data that shows using another file system will or will not work.

Are you having a problem with performance loss with another file system?

No performance problems (yet).

I was just trying to find the best strategy for my new drive.

I guess I stick to 2 NTFS partitions for now.

To be quite honest: I have some reservations having a 3rd party (samsung firmware) interpreting the NTFS and desiding which blocks can be erased, so I am going to be *very* careful about backups these next few months.

Yes, for the drive, Samsung is the first party.

But for a NTFS file system, they are not, MS is the first party. You may be aware how much trouble the Linux community had getting a good NTFS driver, and then the first editions had issues with lesser known and lesser understood NTFS features like compression, encryption, junction points, alternate file streams and whatnot.

While I am happy to have the C firmware, with cleanup function, I would hate to discove that the routine marked some blocks incorrectly as unused because of less than perfect grasp of the FS. (For the same reason, I avoid Linux making large updates to my NTFS). It would be best for all when TRIM puts this responsibility back into the OS. But we'll have to be patient with that.

Maybe I am just seeing too much danger. But I will be making backups until this technology has become mainstream. (Actually, I will be making backups regardless)

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Archived