Corsair Community

Quick question

eagers

I Have 2 GB ram installed on 2 sticks I want to add another 4GB on 2 sticks so total 6 GB My system can handle up to 16 so im not over doing it.

My current RAM is CM3X1024- 1333C9DHX

My question is can I add another 4GB on 2 sticks and have them sit between each 1GB sticks? or will I have to sell the 1 GB's?

Tried the compatibility thing on the site but I built the rig myself so obvious its not listed.

If I am able to just put another 2 X 2GB in which ones would you think? the pc is only used for games and CAD (64bit)

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for your reply. although i know a lot about computing im not that well up on memory/memory settings. I have a higly clockable set up but leave it well alone. so the setting you just said I dont really understand. I just want to know if I can fit 2 x 2gb + 2 X 1gb I plan on buying more corsair as it is the best for 790i's

Don't get a 4 stick pack, get a 2 stick pack, e.g. TW3X4G1333C9DHX.

In an ideal world I would like more than 4GB so you would not recomend using 4 of the above sticks? for 8gb.

I know i dont know much about RAM I did read that more sticks = less performance or I may be getting confused with somthing else. is this why you say use 2 sticks?

If you want 8 GB, get an 8 GB kit:

CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

CMX8GX3M4A1333C9

2 sticks are always better than 4 sticks (less stress on the memory controller), but ultimately when you want a certain amount of memory you'll have to get a 4 stick pack (e.g. the 8 GB packs above).

I want to go 8GB for my new Win7 64-bit build, but I don't understand why an 8GB kit costs three times as much as a 4GB kit (same timings). This in in the case of XMS3 at newegg - Dominator is what you would expect with twice the memory costing twice as much.

Is it feasible to buy two sets of the 4GB or will that not work?

It was these two sets that triggered the question:

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 $81

CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 $240

These are comparable, aren't they? Maybe the 4GB set is just a great deal.

I was scratching my head and thinking just the same thing this afternoon.

I just purchased/installed CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB kit on an Asus M4A785td-m EVO, I am considering adding another 4 Gigs. I don't understand why the 8gig kit is 3 times the price of the 4Gig kit? Double maybe, but 3 times :dunno:

Archived