Corsair Community

Differences between CMX -vs- CMD memory?

HighlyDubious

I'm using CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 on my ASUS M4A78T-E. But when I use the configurator, I see that it recommends CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 for my mobo.

In other words:

1. CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 = What I have
  2. CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 = What is recommended

With this in mind (and for the moment ignoring the CAS 8/9 issue) my question is this:

Using simple words a layperson can understand, whats the real difference between CMX... vs CMD... memory modules? :question:

Is there some clear difference that makes them completely different? Some core design difference that would make one of them clearly unstable and incompatible with certain CPU's or Mother Boards or Chipsets?

And I guess my main confusion is why the CMD... is recommended for my mobo, but not the CMX...? What is it about the CMX... that makes it undesirable for me? :question:

FAQ to the rescue!

NEW Memory Part Number Breakdown

Heat spreader is the main difference. If one is listed then the other should be compatible as well.

Thanks for the link, it's very informative.

Ok, so the difference is "XMS classic (new) heat spreader" -vs- "Dominator".

I don't know what the functional differences are between XMS Classic -vs- Dominator, but I kinda figured there might not be a humongous difference.

Then again, if the XMS is the "older" (i.e. "Classic") version, and the Dominator is the "newer" version, then that could also indicate some level of lesser compatibility with the XMS and my mobo. -- I don't know this, it's just a layman's guess.

Anyway, as mentioned in my other thread, at the moment it seems I'm up and running. I was just curious if there was something fundamentally different between the two models to make the XMS incompatible with my mobo? But since I'm up and running, it currently seems the answer is 'no'. :biggrin:

• Corsair Employees
XMS is branding and all of our modules IE "Dominator /GT Clasic " would be considered XMS modules and the speed grade of a specific part would be what would make it compatible no matter if it is a Clasic or Dominator Part.

Archived