Corsair Community

P256 dead after only 3 months of light use

aublumberg

Very disappointing ... bought a P256 on 09 Aug 2009 here in Hong Kong and it suddenly died in the MacBook Pro two weeks ago. Only had time today to look at it in more detail. Notebook wouldn't boot.

Also doesn't get recognized neither in a Win notebook nor in the MacBook Pro (tried to re-install OSX, Disk Utility doesn't see it).

Really a major disappointment ... How do I go about a product swap / return please?

Thank you Ram Guy.

I went back to the shop today and they replaced the unit, no questions asked (a bit surprising actually, I hope it's a good sign and not reflecting a broader issue triggering returns in significant numbers ...). Certainly easier than a RMA process back to the US from Hong Kong.

The old unit had a '0931' label. I assume this means batch or week of production (YYWW). The replacement is '0933', same firmware label.

Will give it a go and report back in due course ...

Andre.

• Corsair Employees
Please do let us know and This is one of the first Performance series drive that some one has stated died like this so it does not happen much. I do expect a small % will have some issue like with any product but it has been way bellow average for this product.

• 2 weeks later...

I promised to report back. And I always keep my promises:

Last night, exactly 2 weeks after getting the replacement P256 for the first P256 that failed in 3 months light use ... the replacement failed as well. I was working in my MBP when suddenly everything was hanging. Rebooting did not help, the computer no longer did recognize the P256 drive.

This is starting to really annoy me now. Please tell me why would I even bother to try for a third time lucky?

Yes, did that. It broke in a Macbook Pro 5,1 (late 2008) after maybe 25 hours of use and no more than 3 hours a day max. The system suddenly froze and after waiting for 10 mins I powered down the machine.

Then I tried to access the drive with HDDERASE boot CD from a ThinkPad X61 but the notebook doesn't see the drive.

• Corsair Employees
Then I tried to access the drive with HDDERASE boot CD from a ThinkPad X61 but the notebook doesn't see the drive.

That does not surprise me many newer MB's using S-ATA2 controllers will not work with HDD Erase when using SSD drives, can you test it using a desktop system and see if it is detected?

The point is it doesn't get detected anymore - neither in a Macbook Pro nor in a Thinkpad X61. I don't have a desktop and find the argument not relevant since I don't want to use it in a desktop and given it is dead in both notebooks.

So I went with a X25-M G2 160GB instead and got a cash refund for the price difference.

If any external factor caused two consecutive P256s during light usage to fail within a short time period then I expect the same fate for the X25-M and will then certainly report back here.

Archived